• Register Today It's free!

help cant get the fan cluch off

motorhead7635

Reaction score
City, State
york Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 sport
i cant get the fan cluch off of my 02 sport, the bearing is complety blown out and i cant get it off. what do i do the get it off?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i cant get the fan cluch off of my 02 sport, the bearing is complety blown out and i cant get it off. what do i do the get it off?

either go rent or buy the tools necessary. autozone rents them out.

that or get creative and fab some tools up from scrap metal. thats what i did so i dont have to bother my buddy for his real set of tools..

Special tool

You can rent one of the special tools shown below. I've also used a 15 inch long adjustable wrench on the clutch nut and a very long box wrench on one of the pulley bolts while pressing against a second pulley bolt.

FCltchTl.jpg

11 Fan & clutch removal

I just popped mine a little with an air chisel. didn't take much at all.

Use the fan clutch tool.. preferrably the set with 2 long wrenches.. Sometimes having another person hold one wrench while you turn the other helps.. Remember they are reverse threads. We did a fan clutch swap at All Ford Nationals in under 10 minutes between 3 of us working on it.

I just popped mine a little with an air chisel. didn't take much at all.

That don't make sense.. Its threaded onto the water pump.. How can air chisel remove it? :scratch:

dose the cluch come of the shaft coming from the water pump or dose the shaft come off the water pump pully? if it comes off the shaft how dose the the cluch spin of with the bearing blown apart? or how do you keep the pump from spinning?

i got it the problem was every one told me it was revers thread and i got the new part and it wasnt and i did it with out the cluch tools. i put a boxed end wrench on one of the pully bolt and had it leaning against the bolt next to it and put a open end wrench on the nut.

That don't make sense.. Its threaded onto the water pump.. How can air chisel remove it? :scratch:

You just hit it a little in the nut flat in the direction of removal. It's not that tight. ( unless your going in the wrong direction) . mine moved less than an
1/8 of a flat. took it the rest of the way off by hand. Done in 30 sec.:D

Back