• Register Today It's free!

my hood wont open

D

Reaction score
City, State
Olympia Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ranger XLT off road
When I pull the hood release the hood doesn't open. Anyone know a way to manually pop the hood so I can open the hood and fix it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First I would like to welcome you to the board. This is the best place to learn more about the Ford Explorer.

Try having someone push just a little on the hud while you pull the handle. There might be just a little strain on it.
If you know it's the cable that broke, then this won't work of course.

hood wont open

hey guys i finally got my ford explorer 2000 sport back its been sitting so i wanted to change the oil filter anyway ive been tryin to pop my hood i put a screw driver between the spring in the front of my ride had my son pull the lever
nothing i mean i know its stuck put really any ideas would be great thanks ....

hey guys i finally got my ford explorer 2000 sport back its been sitting so i wanted to change the oil filter anyway ive been tryin to pop my hood i put a screw driver between the spring in the front of my ride had my son pull the lever
nothing i mean i know its stuck put really any ideas would be great thanks ....

As someone else mentioned you have a friend push down on the hood to take tension off the latch while you pull the hood release handle. Then while the hood is up, spray the latch mechanism off with carb cleaner or brake cleaner (it doesn't matter which, just use a solvent), and then oil the darn thing. I do this as part of annual maintenance and have never had a stuck hood latch.

thanks for the tips turns out the 2 springs were so corroded it shattered it was rusted shut i put a long flat head and played with it taped with a hammer spayed of course and opened
im definitely oiling it up from now on ;)

Another good technique is to give the hood a couple quick hits with the side of your fist when you pull the hood release.

Back