Replacing upper ball joints for a 2002 Explorer 2WD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing upper ball joints for a 2002 Explorer 2WD

JLindley

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Ex XLT, '97 Ex EB
I tried to remove the upper ball joints on my 2WD Explorer the other day and the tool would not push the ball joint out of the A Arm. I believe that I have to replace the whole A Arm because the ball joint is built in; is this true?? I have seen 4wd explorers being able to remove ball joint out of the A Arm. Any info please i have to replace these, the car is not safe to drive!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, 1 piece unless you buy a new one thats replaceable but its so close in price misewell replace the whole thing.

You can in fact press them out/in. I did my 2WD fronts 3 months ago. I wouldn't recommend just buying a new arm, the ball joint they come with is crap. Read through the link above thoroughly and go buy some Moog joints and replace them. It takes a bit of muscle to get them out, I had to put the arm in a vice and throw a piece of pipe on the end for some extra leverage and don't go easy on the penetrating oil. They will press in much easier.

my 2wd came right out, if your using the autozone kit make sure you are using the bigger circle piece. post pics on how you are pring to get ball joint out!

You can press the ball joints out. You can do it while leaving the control arm installed, too. Make sure you are indeed pressing the ball joint in the proper direction...I know more than once folks have thought it actually pressed in from the bottom instead of the top.

I replace my whole upper arm with ball joint from MevoTech, I installed it Sept 2010 and it's still going strong. I'm just lazy pressing the ball joints out. I paid around $160 (RockAuto) for both. It's cheaper just to do the ball joints.

Facebook

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY

moog balljoints are 45 each. so thats 90 bucks. and if you use a coupon at advanced auto you will get 30% off. plus you don't have to pay for an alligment. just replace the baljoint, no need to take the A arm off.

IMAG0659.jpg

IMAG0711.jpg

Great advice. Quality Moog replacement and not needing alignment makes this a no brainer. :thumbsup:

Thanks for info everyone. I already have the moog ball joints. I might try and tackle it again since some of yal said yal have replaced them on 2WD. When i tried it the first time the ball joint would not budge at all, cannot figure it out...ugghh

Never used this stuff but sounds like a good way to free stubborn pressed in ball joints.
If anything, use penetrating spray and put the new ball joints in the freezer overnight.

Freeze Off

Back