Anyone experiencing intermittent flooding on startup? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone experiencing intermittent flooding on startup?

shelbydog25

Reaction score
City, State
Winchester, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Eddie Bauer
On occassion, my 04 is having trouble starting (new battery installed). The engine (4.0L) cranks but the X won't start. After a few attempts, I push the gas pedal to the floor, holding it there, while attempting to start. It does sputter then starts.

Anyone eles experiencing this or suggestions on what may cause this smiliarity to a "flooded" on startup?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On occassion, my 04 is having trouble starting (new battery installed). The engine (4.0L) cranks but the X won't start. After a few attempts, I push the gas pedal to the floor, holding it there, while attempting to start. It does sputter then starts.

Anyone eles experiencing this or suggestions on what may cause this smiliarity to a "flooded" on startup?

Have had same problem with 03 XLT 4.0. Have no idea why this happens.

how are you dealing with it? just pushing the pedal to the floor until it starts... it's random, so its not like its a continual problem....

My 05 does the same thing.

already checked by dealership, apparently ok... they claim the battery had lost 1/2 it's CCA's, been doing ok so far (3 weeks), but did have this "flooding reoccurance" 1x. lLooks as though most are just mashing the pedal to the floor when it flairs ups... until the next time

I have an 02 and over the past 2 years, on 3 occassions it has failed to start -it turns over and acts like it wants to start, but it doesn't. After it sits for 30 min or so it fires right up -

I have tried to hold the pedal down, but maybe not long enough.

i have an 03 and i get this problem intermittently, but it only happens when it has stalled after putting it in reverse. anyone notice the stalling thing happen? i think it's fuel pump related because if i turn the key to acc. a couple times then start it after it's stalled it starts right up. very very intermittently though..no rhyme or reason. lol eh

both sound like flooding issue. what has worked for me is to mash the pedal to the floor, let it crank several times until spits then it starts and does fine for a period of time... wacky

Back