• Register Today It's free!

Oil Gauge going crazy

Stace

Reaction score
City, State
Saratoga Springs, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
Hi I've got a 2000 Exp. 4WD 4L Oil pressure gauge going crazy pinging back and forth hi/lo hi/lo check gauge light came on. If I stop and just idle the check gauge goes oput and the OP needle is normal, step on the gas light on and needle goes nuts. Any thoughts? Has Oil in normal range on dip stick.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the gauge is really a voltmeter. Any oil pressure over a pre specified pressure (likely 5-10lbs) will set it off and in never varies. The guage sender is likely malfunction. If the engine sound normal (no excessive lifter noise) you're probably ok on pressure. Pickup and new sender and swap it out. You could check the wire contact on it first.

I don't know where its located though.

Mine is doing the same thing......and crazy is an understatement. That needle wants to come outa there!!!!!!! I mean hitting the limiter pin so hard I can hear it over the radio.

I had a new gauge but it was the wrong one so I took it back. The one that looks right (electrical connector) is supposedly for the oil LIGHT according to the NAPA guy. Either way I am gonna go back and get the $7 oil LIGHT sender for my gauge...... :dunno:

Mine is doing the same thing......and crazy is an understatement. That needle wants to come outa there!!!!!!! I mean hitting the limiter pin so hard I can hear it over the radio.

I had a new gauge but it was the wrong one so I took it back. The one that looks right (electrical connector) is supposedly for the oil LIGHT according to the NAPA guy. Either way I am gonna go back and get the $7 oil LIGHT sender for my gauge...... :dunno:

that's because as tripplec was saying, the gauge really functions as a light.

It points to the middle of the gauge when pressure rises above a certain point; otherwise, it goes down to zero. It doesn't actually measure anything.

The oil pressure sensor is a problem with the 2nd gen trucks mine started to stay pinned at no pressure about a year ago check this out
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210435 do a search for oil pressure sensor there are about 200 different treads on the oil pressure sensor not just for havin no pressure but searching guages etc.. hope it helps

Yeah.....when i was at Advanced Auto a few minutes ago they said the oil sending unit for the gauge and light were the same part #. The NAPA guy must have been confused.

$7.99 for the part is cheap but getting to that sucker is hard. I had to have my daughter unhook the connector since I couldn't get my hand in there!! I am sure she will jump for joy when I tell here she has to stick her hand in there 3 more times.

*bump*

My 2002 started just dipping to no pressure and the "check gauges" light comes on. I've checked the oil and it's fine, nothing seems to be overheating. And shutting off the engine seems to reset it.

Its your oil pressure sender. Fairly easy to replace.

Back