wont go in 4wd low | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

wont go in 4wd low

jamienfld

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer sport
never used 4wd in long while anyway i cant get it to go into 4wd low. It is a explorer sport 2001 goes in 4wd high thats all. If i put it in 4wd high and switch to low the 4wd high light still says on any ideas

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok but is the 4 lo light coming on when you push the button? cause if i am not mistaken both lights should lit when you are in 4 lo.

are you in neutral before switching it to 4WD low? I believe it will only switch over to the low gears if you are in neutral.

And more importantly, do you need 4LO? ;)

What are you trying to accomplish with LO range? Because all it does is give you torque and slightly more throttle control but only in off-road situations.

Your X must be in Neutral, and STOPPED for it to shift into and out of 4Lo.

4Lo is good for crawling out of a hole, or over a rock.....NOT for using on the street. You can go about 20-25mph MAX in 4Lo w/ 3.73's and stock tires.

Ryan

I use low anytime I'm towing someone out of a ditch. We have got a lot of snow the last week and have pulled three people so far. I use low range because it takes a lot of stress off my already weak transmission.

You can roll ever so slowly to go into or out of 4 Low.

My 00 ex does not illuminate both 4 hi and 4 low lights when in 4wd. Only one light is on at a time. It cannot be in both ranges at the same time.

You can roll ever so slowly to go into or out of 4 Low
If you're talking about not having the transmission in Neutral or Park, then I wouldn't do it -- the gear that slides into the planetary (and the planetary itself) has very sharp angled teeth. If the driveshafts and the transmissions are not at the same RPM (that is to say that the transmission is in one of the forward gears or reverse), you're going to be grinding those teeth down. Its like shifting an unsynchronized manual transmission from a dead stop into 1st gear without using the clutch and not having a tachometer.

4405_plentarygeardown.jpg

I stand corrected. I thought I read somewhere that you could be rolling very very slow to shift into 4 Low somewhere. My manual for my 2000 ex does not say this. Maybe it was in my 97 manual.

I do not do this anyway, I always come to a complete stop, but it will not shift into or out of 4 Low unless it is in neutral, no other position will it shift.

Back