• Register Today It's free!

Loud humming sound when driving

isodine

Reaction score
City, State
US VIRGIN ISLANDS
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
Hi guys I'm hearing a loud humming noise when driving my 1996 xlt two wheel drive explorer. I changed the universal joints and the front wheel bearings and I'm still hearing this humming noise and it also has to new tires which are bigger than the rear. On stand still no humming but when I start to drive loud humming wuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuuu. It is very annoying any suggestions thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi guys I'm hearing a loud humming noise when driving my 1996 xlt two wheel drive explorer. I changed the universal joints and the front wheel bearings and I'm still hearing this humming noise and it also has to new tires which are bigger than the rear. On stand still no humming but when I start to drive loud humming wuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuwuuu. It is very annoying any suggestions thanks.

Could be the tires.

If the pitch stays constant regardless of engine speed or gear, it's the rear differential.

what kind of tires do you have that sound you made sounds like tire noise.

Was the sound there before you put the 2 new tires on?

humming sound

Could be the tires.

If the pitch stays constant regardless of engine speed or gear, it's the rear differential.

Well the noise seems to come from the front especially from the front driver side. the noise decreases as I start to slow down and the faster I go the higher and faster the humming becomes.

The tires were bought at H&H tires and I've never seen this brand before but they cost just over $200.00 each they are Kenda Radial Klever H/P P235/70R15

Before they installed them I never heard that sound before, but the sound did not come on right away it came couple of days after. When the vehicle is on jack stands the tire spins free real nice but when driving I also felt like if there is a rub sometimes.

235/70r15 is smaller than stock.

Doesn't look like a loud tire though

Humming

If the problem is the differential what part would cause that humming sound will I have to change out the whole thing. Maybe if I jack up the rear secure on Jack Stands and put her in gear then I'll know if its the rear differential right?

Rotate the tires front to back to see if the sound moves. IF it does, the problem is tire/wheel related.

Sure you could but might as well go to the tire shop and have them lift the whole thing up and see if there is any noise when all tires are in the air. I'm betting there wont be since the noise level coincides with the speed driven, when you get road whine it gets louder as you go faster and softens up when you slow down.

Hate to tell you this but the smart money is on the tires making the noise.

EDIT:: Sorry did not pay enough attention to notice 2WD until after posted no reason to raise whole vehicle.

Well the noise seems to come from the front especially from the front driver side. the noise decreases as I start to slow down and the faster I go the higher and faster the humming becomes.

The tires were bought at H&H tires and I've never seen this brand before but they cost just over $200.00 each they are Kenda Radial Klever H/P P235/70R15

Before they installed them I never heard that sound before, but the sound did not come on right away it came couple of days after. When the vehicle is on jack stands the tire spins free real nice but when driving I also felt like if there is a rub sometimes.

I Googled those tires. They are some ugly knobby looking things. I'd bet they are the source of your humming noise. Maybe H&H will take them back? I did that once at Firestone. I hated the tires so they took them back for no charge and I traded up to some good ones.

From my memory, I think a differential is noisiest when decelerating with the engine.

^ I looked em up and came up with a highway looking tread.

Thanks guys will do that in the morning the tires are sure big and knobby.

Back