Lemon Law | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lemon Law

tryan1977

Reaction score
I have been having a long list of problems with my EX and I am concerned that my car was in a batch of bad ones that slipped through. My 2007 Limited was an excellent vehicle (that i now miss). I know some of you are extremely happy and I am glad to hear that. I have had a majority of the issues complained about on this site like transmission clunks, jogging when opening windows, squeeky doors, poorly aligned trim etc. so I'm curious to know if there have been any of you have went down the road of the lemon law.

If you have, I am curious to hear how it went for you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have been having a long list of problems with my EX and I am concerned that my car was in a batch of bad ones that slipped through. My 2007 Limited was an excellent vehicle (that i now miss). I know some of you are extremely happy and I am glad to hear that. I have had a majority of the issues complained about on this site like transmission clunks, jogging when opening windows, squeeky doors, poorly aligned trim etc. so I'm curious to know if there have been any of you have went down the road of the lemon law.

If you have, I am curious to hear how it went for you.
It seems to me that one memberhad a successful case and another one or two stated that they have begun a 'lemon law' case.
Hopefully they will jump in and give you some direction.

Peter

You can head down that road, but in the 30 years I have been in the auto service biz, unless it SEVERELY detracts from the value of the vehicle, is a major safety issue, or you have been without the vehicle for 30 days because it was totally out of commission (and still within the basic warranty), you would not stand a chance of winning. I will note it varies by state and you are welcome to file the paperwork. First new model year growing pains, while not much fun to deal with, do not end up winning lemon law cases, nor will multiple MyFord Touch issues.

You are better off trading it for a 2013 versus going through lemon law....

:hammer:

Last edited:

You can head down that road, but in the 30 years I have been in the auto service biz, unless it SEVERELY detracts from the value of the vehicle, is a major safety issue, or you have been without the vehicle for 30 days because it was totally out of commission (and still within the basic warranty), you would not stand a chance of winning. I will note it varies by state and you are welcome to file the paperwork. First new model year rowing pains, while not much fun to deal with, do not end up winning lemon law cases, nor will multiple MyFord Touch issues.

You are better off trading it for a 2013....

I went through the process for my 2011 Limited. My Issues were with MFT and rear hatch alignment. I filed the paper work with the state of Florida who guided me to first work with my local BBB. My local BBB scheduled and facilitated an arbitration hearing between Ford and me ( no lawyer, i represented myself at the hearing). The arbitrator found in my favor. Ford had to replace my Explorer. Today I'm driving a 2013 Limited.

Ford will try to wear you down. First they put me in contact with a field service engineer who tried to tell me everything was working as designed. As I pushed forward, I was assigned another Ford representative who told me that MFT rebooting while driving down the road was a characteristic of the vehicle. That just did not make sense to me and gave me the drive to complete the process.

Feel free to PM me if you are thinking about going through the process and I can give you a little more of the details that I experienced.

Arbitration is NOT lemon law. Yes, you MAY win an arbitration. Curious, did they charge you for the two model year upgrade and mileage usage or was it free? We should explain it all....

The way you explained it, they just handed you keys to a new one....

As previously mentioned, I did submit the Lemon Law paperwork to Florida’s Attorney General’s office. Florida’s process is to first see if a settlement can be reach through arbitration. You still have the same burden of proof (substantially impairs its use, value or safety and has had at least three repair attempts) for an arbitration hearing. Ford did have legal representation at the hearing. During the hearing I played video’s showing the MFT rebooting, MFT not turning off (even with doors open), no radio volume control; to name a few. The arbitrator then performed a visual inspection of vehicle to see first hand the issues with MFT and the rear hatch alignment. When I showed the arbitrator the issues with the MFT sync system, the MFT system rebooted right in front of his eyes.

It cost me less than $75.00 to move from the 2011 to the 2013. Fords Replacement Program calculates the replacement cost based on the first repair attempt. In my case, I started having MFT issues the first week that I owned the 2011 and my mileage was somewhere around four hundred miles. I was only charged for the miles and not for the two model year upgrade.

Please don’t take this the wrong way, but I don’t think your comments that “you would not stand a chance of winning” and that you would be “better off trading it for a 2013” was good advice. You would take a beating (thousands of dollars) on the trade and that was not something that I was willing to accept especially since Ford, not me, was ultimately responsible for the problems with my 2011.

As previously mentioned, I did submit the Lemon Law paperwork to Florida’s Attorney General’s office. Florida’s process is to first see if a settlement can be reach through arbitration. You still have the same burden of proof (substantially impairs its use, value or safety and has had at least three repair attempts) for an arbitration hearing. Ford did have legal representation at the hearing. During the hearing I played video’s showing the MFT rebooting, MFT not turning off (even with doors open), no radio volume control; to name a few. The arbitrator then performed a visual inspection of vehicle to see first hand the issues with MFT and the rear hatch alignment. When I showed the arbitrator the issues with the MFT sync system, the MFT system rebooted right in front of his eyes.

It cost me less than $75.00 to move from the 2011 to the 2013. Fords Replacement Program calculates the replacement cost based on the first repair attempt. In my case, I started having MFT issues the first week that I owned the 2011 and my mileage was somewhere around four hundred miles. I was only charged for the miles and not for the two model year upgrade.

Please don’t take this the wrong way, but I don’t think your comments that “you would not stand a chance of winning” and that you would be “better off trading it for a 2013” was good advice. You would take a beating (thousands of dollars) on the trade and that was not something that I was willing to accept especially since Ford, not me, was ultimately responsible for the problems with my 2011.

I agree and congratulations. Also, I did state things vary from state to state and in New Hampshire you pay for the mileage you used the vehicle for. I always like to see a "Charlie Sheen" every now and then ("WINNING").

:D

Arbitration is NOT lemon law. Yes, you MAY win an arbitration. Curious, did they charge you for the two model year upgrade and mileage usage or was it free? We should explain it all....

The way you explained it, they just handed you keys to a new one....

Yes, arbitration is lemon law. That's how it works in CT as well. You either win arbitration or you lose.

Yes, arbitration is lemon law. That's how it works in CT as well. You either win arbitration or you lose.

Ditto in NY....

http://www.ag.ny.gov/sites/default/files/pdfs/complaints/cns006_newcar.pdf

Really not that hard to win if you keep records and have your facts straight.

Sounds 100% correct to me!!!

I always like to see a "Charlie Sheen" every now and then ("WINNING").

:D

Scratching head! He is FAR from a wack job like Charlie Sheen....and he won! :)

Well my vehicle has gone back on for service, again. As of today, the vehicle has now been at the dealer for a total of 14 days. They told me when i took it in last week that it will be at least a week and a half before i get it back.

Hopefully they keep this $40,000 pile of sh#& for 2 more weeks so I can begin filing the paperwork.

Absolutely awful experience. Will not be buying another ford and will make sure to inform everyone I know what a terrible vehicle it is. I should have bought the Acadia.

Well my vehicle has gone back on for service, again. As of today, the vehicle has now been at the dealer for a total of 14 days. They told me when i took it in last week that it will be at least a week and a half before i get it back.

Hopefully they keep this $40,000 pile of sh#& for 2 more weeks so I can begin filing the paperwork.

Absolutely awful experience. Will not be buying another ford and will make sure to inform everyone I know what a terrible vehicle it is. I should have bought the Acadia.
You stated in a post above that you were very happy with your 2007 Explorer. So why would this one bad experience put you off Ford altogether. The majority of manufacturers have produced the odd vehicle that turned out to be a 'lemon'. That doesn't mean that all their products are the same. The majority of Explorer owners are very happy with their decision.
As I stated in another reply to a post of yours, the Acadia isn't exactly a stellar performer. It has yet to make Consumer Report's recommended list. Previous models have been below par in reliability. Just check the Web for problems with the Acadia before you make the jump. I read a couple of posts from Acadia owners that are dumping their vehicle as well.

Peter

Yes... That Acadia is the epitome of a "perfect" vehicle! After you buy one, please come back and let us know how satisfied you are! It appears you'd be in fine company.
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f1310a2?displayRecent

:bsnicker: Acadia... LMAO

The Explorer isn't perfect either, but at least I'm not subsidizing Ford with my tax dollars like I am with GM. It's too bad I can't dump my interest in GM like I can with my Ford stock purchased on the open market. :thumbdwn:

I opened a Lemon Law case with BBB, my Explorer has been in the shop over 30 days and still to this day has issues. They have replaced the APIM multiple times after this last update that came out in March. Now the phone dials but no sound...people think Im calling them over and over again and dont understand why they cant hear me.

BBB came back and said Ford would give me a ESP Premium with $100 deductible for 75,000 miles. I dont think this makes up for the loss of functionality and time spend taking the car in for repair over and over again. We'll see what happens next. They did however give me one month's car payment $674.

I opened a Lemon Law case with BBB, my Explorer has been in the shop over 30 days and still to this day has issues. They have replaced the APIM multiple times after this last update that came out in March. Now the phone dials but no sound...people think Im calling them over and over again and dont understand why they cant hear me.

BBB came back and said Ford would give me a ESP Premium with $100 deductible for 75,000 miles. I dont think this makes up for the loss of functionality and time spend taking the car in for repair over and over again. We'll see what happens next. They did however give me one month's car payment $674.

Ford offered me the same ( 75k mile ESP premium warranty) four days prior to my BBB facilitated arbitration hearing. I too felt the same as you... the extened warranty did not make up for the loss of functionality plus (at least in my case) if I accepted the settlelment they would no longer be obligated to fix my current MFT issues and I would not be able to make future claims against Ford for MFT related issues

Tampa- What are they offering now in arbitration?

Hey People -

I'm about to go to arbitration for my 2012 Exploder's Sync system.
Does anyone have document copies of successful "buy-backs" outcomes

Thank you

Hey People -

I'm about to go to arbitration for my 2012 Exploder's Sync system.
Does anyone have document copies of successful "buy-backs" outcomes

Thank you

I will be going for my hearing for my 2nd Explorer Tuesday. Not a sync/mft issue. I'm more nervous for this hearing than I was for the first one.

Hi All . I have been reading ongoing for the last while yet not posting. Not to Hijack this thread in any way. I finally was fed up with all the little things that were never right or could not be made right in my 2011 LTD that I got rid of it last week. The dealer I work with for the last 25 years wanted to get me into a Lincoln MKX fully loaded , I drove it and as much as I did want it, felt like a glorified Edge (as it is ). I ended up on the dark side at Government motors with a full zoot loaded Cadillac SRX. I hate to say it , as I am a Ford man , this is how a Lincoln should drive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can head down that road, but in the 30 years I have been in the auto service biz, unless it SEVERELY detracts from the value of the vehicle, is a major safety issue, or you have been without the vehicle for 30 days because it was totally out of commission (and still within the basic warranty), you would not stand a chance of winning. I will note it varies by state and you are welcome to file the paperwork. First new model year growing pains, while not much fun to deal with, do not end up winning lemon law cases, nor will multiple MyFord Touch issues.

You are better off trading it for a 2013 versus going through lemon law....

I had a lemon law case successfully resolved last year due to MFT related issues. I've won 2 lemon law cases in the last 4 years (the Ford, and a Nissan 350z prior), both filed in California. I'm not sure your stance on people not having a chance is correct.

And trading at a loss vs. getting a good lawyer to take on a lemon law case for an actual lemon is not very financially sound advice. Most states are pro consumer and if you win the case, the manufacturer is responsible for all legal fees as well. Most lawyers will take the case on contingency (if you win, they get money, otherwise they don't)

Last edited:

Back