• Register Today It's free!

2013 Ford Explorer Sport HID mod

jc_slick

Reaction score
City, State
New York City, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey guys, I got two HID kits from carxenonhid.com, one for the headlights and the other for the fog lights, both 4300k. Im contemplating on whether I should have them installed or not. I dont want to really look blue but I want to be able to tell the difference and not have too much yellow in it. I want that range rover look. Kinda looks like 4500k? 5000k? Unless its because these are aftermarket kits and the bulbs are not d3s? Just want to know some feedback from you guys. I'm wondering about whether or not I should put HIDs on the fog lights and If i should go 6000k. If not then maybe changing the fog light bulbs to something whiter? In reading different threads on other sites, those other bulbs burn out after a few months. Any suggestions? Here is something I did not too long ago:
null_zps50aced57.jpg
null_zps361bd176.jpg

PIAA extreme white 168 bulbs but they dont seem to shine as bright as they do in the pics and they look a little blue. Only had them for a couple of weeks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I couldn't tell if you had a limited or not. Anyway I got bulbs installed today on my hid's making them 5000k from the 4300k that they come with from the factory and upgraded the fog from factory to bright white.

I am very pleased with just the bulb upgrade. Both are nice and white love the lo/hi beams but the fog is a little blah - i'll try some different bulbs there before putting HID on the fog. I'll post pics soon.

I can show you what the 5000k kit looks like. Pictures of the upgrade I did on my 2013 base Ex can be seen at the end of thread:

www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3155451

The thread is like 5 pages long so just look for the pictures I posted. I am planning on replacing the 5000K bulbs with 4300k Bulbs for better visibility. The 5000K bulbs were still an improvement over stock but not good enough. So, Hence the upgrade to 4300K.

wait you have 4300k bulbs, you don't want them to look too blue so you're thinking about not putting them in, but you're thinking about 6000k for the fogs? The higher the number the more blue they are and the less visible light output. 4300k would be a pure silvery white, no blue at all, and is what comes in OEM such as the range rover, etc.

I couldn't tell if you had a limited or not.
In the left column it shows he has a 2013 Explorer Sport. Now that may have been added after your post since any update done updates all pots by the OP. We also do not know what model you have since yours just says 2013 Ford Explorer and there nothing shown under Vehicle Specs either.;)

Peter

I couldn't tell if you had a limited or not. Anyway I got bulbs installed today on my hid's making them 5000k from the 4300k that they come with from the factory and upgraded the fog from factory to bright white.

I am very pleased with just the bulb upgrade. Both are nice and white love the lo/hi beams but the fog is a little blah - i'll try some different bulbs there before putting HID on the fog. I'll post pics soon.

I think I am going to stick with the 4300k headlights but not sure if I should use 4300k on the fog lights. Unless I get a bright white bulb replacement instead of going HID on the fogs. Anyone here who has the conversion done on the new style explorer please post pics if you can. I've searched the internet and hve seen other cars with HID retrofits but I'd like to get a better look at the new/current style Explorers with those HID lights.

And Phantom, I have the Sport:
null_zpsa1e27c34.jpg

I think I am going to stick with the 4300k headlights but not sure if I should use 4300k on the fog lights. Unless I get a bright white bulb replacement instead of going HID on the fogs. Anyone here who has the conversion done on the new style explorer please post pics if you can. I've searched the internet and hve seen other cars with HID retrofits but I'd like to get a better look at the new/current style Explorers with those HID lights.
Keep in mind that fogs are not 'driving' lights. Their purpose is not really to supplement the headlights under normal conditions. If they become too hi powered or bright white then they will be pretty well useless for the purpose for which they were intended.
4300k for the headlights should be good. I don't know what the Limited comes with. I'm guessing it is the 4300k.

Peter

Where did u have them install? I'm planning to get them.

I haven't installed them yet. I have them brand new in the box. I'll prob keep the 9005 bulbs but might return the h11 fog light 4300k bulbs. Unless someone wants to buy them off of me.

Sherwin, I got my bulbs installed at USS on hillside ave. Not sure if they will do an install on a kit they didn't sell. You can check them. If you also want good service you can go to Infinity on Liberty avenue and 130 something street. I know them well also.

IMG_0546_zps823b61a3.jpg

IMG_0544_zps6774ae08.jpg

IMG_0542_zps2fadf8ed.jpg

Here are some pics of what the 5000 bulb swap on my limited looks like. I also changed the bulbs on the fogs to diamond white.

IMG_0546_zps823b61a3.jpg

IMG_0544_zps6774ae08.jpg

IMG_0542_zps2fadf8ed.jpg

Here are some pics of what the 5000 bulb swap on my limited looks like. I also changed the bulbs on the fogs to diamond white.

Very nice. Are the fogs hid or bright halogen?5000k also? Do other drivers flash you?

What are you using for the fog lights? HID or H11 Halogen bulbs (if yes which ones) ?

Thanks!

Very nice. Are the fogs hid or bright halogen?5000k also? Do other drivers flash you?

The fogs are just the bright halogen (H11) 5000k. No one flashed as yet..lol. Actually its a lot whiter than factory but not irritating - I actually drove against my light on a 2 way street and it was normal for me - I try to be considerate.

IMG_0546_zps823b61a3.jpg

IMG_0544_zps6774ae08.jpg

IMG_0542_zps2fadf8ed.jpg

What did you do, try to modifly an XLT to look like a sport?

What did you do, try to modifly an XLT to look like a sport?
To me it looks like the only thing roamingphantom's Limited (not XLT) has in common with the Sport is the lettering on the hood.

Peter

Back