Need to know how to re-build a 1354M t-case | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need to know how to re-build a 1354M t-case

Carguy3J

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
North East New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 4dr. XLT SOHC A4WD
I have searched, and it seems the 6-7 threads claiming to be a "how-to" all seem to just fizzle out without providing any real info. (Including "Glacier"'s alleged "diary")

Can someone PLEASE point me to a complete, actually useable/useful how-to thread on rebuilding the BW 1354 manual t-case, with plenty of pictures/parts sources/etc...? I don't care if its here, or on another forum.

I have a feeling my t-case is not going to last much longer, before exploding spectacularly one day, so I really need to do something soon. At the same time, I've never opened up a t-case, so I really need some info.

Thanks.

(Alternatively, if someone in northern NJ has a nice low-mileage one for sale, for a good price, let me know. I don't need the shift linkage or anything, as my truck already has the 1354M, stock. I just need a good t-case.)

Also, what about using a late model FX4 Level manual t-case? I know the front output is for the later cv-style front shaft. Could I just bolt in the t-case AND front driveshaft, into my '93 Ranger?

Bump????? I can't believe this hasn't gotten any replies. For that matter, I can't believe I haven't been able to locate this info.
These things don't exactly spontaneously explode, but even the newest ones are getting pretty old, and they do fail. If there is a how-to on rebuilding a 5r55e, its mind boggling, and quite frustrating, that there is no how-to on rebuilding the most popular Explorer/Ranger t-case in use.

Mine is starting to sound like a dryer with some loose change/rocks tumbling around, with the output flange (and my driveshaft) hopping up and down like a cam lobe, so I really need to find this info soon.

Back