2002 Explorer front wheel bearing question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer front wheel bearing question

NEWFS02X

Reaction score
City, State
Manitoba,Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 E/B 4x4
Any reason why the front bearing can't be removed/replaced in the front hub of these vehicles instead of replacing the entire hub assembly?

I just got a price of $163 up here for Fenco (low line); $266 for CR; and $250 for Bower.

Has anyone ever pressed them out and replaced them?

thanks....John

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Front wheel bearing replacement

Anyone???

front bearing

Wow, I'm new here and can't believe no one has replied. I've had to replace both hub assemblies. Dirver's side in Dec '06 and pass side Dec '07. I see parts available to have them pressed out, but I don't know what it takes to get them out and back in properly. I bought the first at the dealer for $158.00, after I asked nicely for a discount. I got the second at rockauto.com, Here's a discount code good til feb 5 2008 for a 5% discount. The 5% actually covered my shipping cost plus some. I paid under $110 total.

* Enter your discount code (and no other characters or spaces) in the "How did you hear about us" line of the shopping cart.
* If you are using our traditional HTML catalog, please click the "Set" button to the right of the field.
* Your discount will automatically appear, subtracted from your order total.

TIMKEN Part # SP470201

Well I thought you possibly could since there is bearings for sale to fit the hub.
But after looking my old hub over real close it appears the factory has installed the bearings then used high pressure to press the steel of the hub around the bearings to keep them in place.
Removal of the material would mean there is nothing there to keep the new bearing in place.
Not sure if there are pressed fit or not. But they sure made it so they would never be just merely pressed out.:eek:

I did have the bearing pressed in for the rear on one side major pain, would have been better to buy the hub assembly which I did when the other side went. I just replaced the front this week and the bearing and hub assebly with speed sensor was $130 from http://www.tascafordparts.com very easy to instal.

I had to replace the Rear Passenger Side and pressed out the Bearing, using a 20 Ton Press, anything smaller won't do it. Can't imagine the Front being much different.

Rar

Bearing issue

Hello Roger...good talking to you over the phone.

I just had a look at your F150..that's one clean truck! No rust??

Price is certainly in the ballpark for the shape it's in .

Good luck in selling it....John

I had the left front and the right rear go on mine at the same time. I bought the hub assemblies from a junkyard off an 05 with 20,000 miles on it. The front one swaped out but had to press the back one out and replace it with the 05. The front one took 20 mins. The back one took 3 hours while messing with the press.

All in all it cost me $240 for the hubs and labor for a mechanic to press the the rear hub out and replace it.

hubs

I had the left front and the right rear go on mine at the same time. I bought the hub assemblies from a junkyard off an 05 with 20,000 miles on it. The front one swaped out but had to press the back one out and replace it with the 05. The front one took 20 mins. The back one took 3 hours while messing with the press.

All in all it cost me $240 for the hubs and labor for a mechanic to press the the rear hub out and replace it.

I'm assuming that when you say the front one swapped out you're referring to the entire hub assembly..correct? Not just the bearing.

........John

Yes that is what I meant, it took about 15 minutes from start to finish on the front the rear one was the issue.

front bearing

thanks.............

Hi all,

After a routine dealer inspection/maint visit, they told me that my 2002 XLT needs a new front left hub/bearing assembly (Quoted me $350). I don't notice anything while driving (no noises, etc.). They didn't drive it, either -- just had it up on the lift.

A local independent shop tells me that if I don't notice anything while driving then I probably don't need a new bearing/hub. They say that "I will know" when the bearins go bad -- either steering will be funny or I will get some serious noise from the front end.

I'm nervous about just driving until I hear terrible noises. Won't I do more damage or have the wheel sieze or something?

What can I do to check this out and make sure I don't need new bearings? Maybe check for play in the wheel when it's off the ground? How much play is tolerable?

Thanks for any advice!

From what I've read, it looks like I could probably change this thing myself -- but I don't have any "specialized" tools. I think I would need to buy a large socket (and a breaker bar?) to remove the driveaxle nut, maybe a puller to get the old hub assembly off the driveaxle, and obviously a torque wrench.

Is it worth buying all the stuff to try it myself, or should I go with a local quote I've got for $272??? I found the part online (Timken SP470200) for $125. How hard would this be for a "rookie"?

Finally -- are there any additional seals or other parts I'd need to buy, or just the hub/bearing assembly?

Thanks a million!

Back