How to roll up auto window manually?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to roll up auto window manually??

oplitic

Reaction score
City, State
Deering, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Mounty
Hey guys, passenger window decided not to roll up today, neither from driver door or passenger door switches. The motor is getting power from the driver side and passenger switch, checked the power at the motor, relays seem fine, not sure which of the like 6 it is. Does anyone know which it is? Bottom to top there is big one, big one, 2 smalls next to each other, two smalls next to each other. I'm sure you all know. But if anyone knows which is the one to check than I can pay more attention to it.

Anyways, of course it's stuck down so i was wondering if anyone knows a way to get it up without pullin the whole thing apart. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I assume you have a two door... and the driver's side works fine... right? IF SO, then you have a broken wire and since you checked for voltage at the motor... right....;-).... it would "appear" not to be a voltage problem... :) maybe... what wire at the motor did you find voltage on?

PS. take a meter to the switch on the passenger side and make sure that the switch is functional (ie. you continuity thru the switch when it is operated in either direction).

OK... let's start over then, you need to check at the motor whether you are seeing voltage and a ground, voltage only, ground only.... and then do the same check at the switch.

If yours did what mine did I don't know of any way to fix it short of taking the door panel off. My driver door window stuck down and it wasn't the motor. I removed the moter and it was fine. I had to put the window up manually a little ways and then re-install the motor.

It hasn't happened again, but I don't put the window all the way down. I leave it up about a quarter of an inch.

OK... let's start over then, you need to check at the motor whether you are seeing voltage and a ground, voltage only, ground only.... and then do the same check at the switch.

Forgot, they're reverse polarity, correct? Like locks on some older cars, damn should thought of that. I was definitely getting voltage at the motor and switch from both driver and passenger side switches. I'll check to make sure it's getting ground on the other wire. Guess it's time to put it back in. I took the motor out and was gonna make sure and see it wasn't working. I didn't see any other way to get it rolled up. If I didn't have over $2k in audio I wouldn't have even bothered, but I work in the middle of a city.

If yours did what mine did I don't know of any way to fix it short of taking the door panel off. My driver door window stuck down and it wasn't the motor. I removed the moter and it was fine. I had to put the window up manually a little ways and then re-install the motor.

It hasn't happened again, but I don't put the window all the way down. I leave it up about a quarter of an inch.

You just took it out, put it back in and it worked? Hope that works for me tomorrow when I put it back in to see if it's giving it ground.

One more thing. The motor can just go in, doesn't need to be at it's original spot when I took it out, cause it only senses the resistance of the motor and won't go farther, correct?

its sounds like your passenger switch is broken.

You just took it out, put it back in and it worked? Hope that works for me tomorrow when I put it back in to see if it's giving it ground.

I had to raise the window manually a little bit before I put the motor back in.

Apparently mine was binding when the window was all the way down.

The pinion on the motor doesn't have to be in any particular position when you install the motor.

I had to raise the window manually a little bit before I put the motor back in.

Apparently mine was binding when the window was all the way down.

The pinion on the motor doesn't have to be in any particular position when you install the motor.

Ok, thought so.

its sounds like your passenger switch is broken.

I am starting to think that too. I'm at work now and just tested the motor on the bench we use to test radios and it works fine, back and forth. So it apparently wasn't switching ground on the other wire. I'm gonna hopefully through it back in tonight when I get home and try it. Then try a switch from a junk yard and see if that helps it. Are the switches on the rear door the same cause there's only one switch on those doors too? I can use one of those for now.

Yep... that will "quickly" help you determine if it is a switch (replaced with a known working one) or a broken wire going to the switch which is still a possibility.

Yep... that will "quickly" help you determine if it is a switch (replaced with a known working one) or a broken wire going to the switch which is still a possibility.

it was giving power to the motor on each wire back and forth9the reversing polarity) so part A of reversing works, lol. it's the part B of switching the other wire to ground that i think isn't working.. I'll have to play with it

haven't found a thread that answers the initial question. How do you actually roll up the window manually? forget the motor, its broken. for now i'm trying to get the window up on someones explorer manually.

haven't found a thread that answers the initial question. How do you actually roll up the window manually? forget the motor, its broken. for now i'm trying to get the window up on someones explorer manually.

I ended up taking my motor out and pulling it up. Couldn't figure out any other way. Tomorrow I'll be putting it back in though cause the motor works fine. Than be doing more testing of wires to see what's wrong.

did you have to drill the motor out of its rivets and find some way to put it back in? I dont even know how you could line it up inside there, no room! and all that stuff to attach.

did you have to drill the motor out of its rivets and find some way to put it back in? I dont even know how you could line it up inside there, no room! and all that stuff to attach.

It sucks. Yeah, I drilled out the rivets. And tkaing it out was a *****, so I'm sure putting it back in will suck too. Putting it back in today. There wasn't much to attach though... three little black bolts from the gear holder thing, the three rivets, which I will be replacing with bolts cause I'm out of rivets and don't want to rivet it back on just incase there's some other problem. Oh, and there's one or two nuts I believe. You don't have to line it up how it went originally, so that makes it easier too.

You can pull the window up manually, but you will have to remove the motor to do that. Once up re-install the motor and that will hold it up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wow yeah doesn't sound like i'll be doing this. Its not my car its my step dads. he can pay 250 to have it fixed

Back