Dark Side color? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dark Side color?

rjhussey

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 XLT
Hi all:

Today I got my first look at my 2014 XLT. I ordered Dark Side Metallic on a total flyer after seeing the 2014 colors posted on the Ford site in early June. On the web site it looked to be a midnight blue, with maybe a hint of dark green.

Well, I saw it on the lot, parked next to a 2014 Explorer LTD in Tuxedo black, and for the life of me, they looked exactly the same. I could not tell the difference.

Anyone else out there with Dark Side Metallic?

(I am not disappointed with the dark color, just wished it looked a little more dark blue)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have not seen the color yet. Please post a picture. I'm curious to see what it looks like.

Was it sunny? I know the tux black really comes out in the light... Maybe dark side is like that too?

Yes, a bright sunny day.... hope to pick it up Monday, and will try to post some pix...

Saw the car again today in bright sunlight. To me Dark Side Metallic is black with hints of blue and green in the metallic finish.

Thought maybe the car rolled down the line with the wrong paint -- but not so!

Looking forward to driving it!

Hello all,
First time posting. Just bought a 2014 XLT and the funny thing is...When they were showing me the explorer, even the dealer was telling me it was black. I didn't think any different. Told them I would think about it, came back the next day with my wife...and as we are walking up to the suv she says..."I thought you said it was black?" I said, "it is". She said, no that's green." The dealer even came out and was surprised to see it was indeed a shade of green.
Long story short, we bought the explorer, and on any given day, depending on the angle of the sun....it looks black, dark green, or dark blue. I actually really like it...even better than tuxedo black.

That dark side color is righteous!! If I could have found an XLT at the price point I wanted, I would have gone with it. When I saw it on a cloudy day, it looked black. But in the sunlight, it turned a sort of navy blue.

Anyway, I wound up with Sterling Gray. There were 4 colors i would have been happy with, and Sterling Gray was one of them. We keep cars a long time, so I tend to choose conservative colors. I really liked that Dark Side is conservative, but sort of has a "stealth mode" feel to it.

...Long story short, we bought the explorer, and on any given day, depending on the angle of the sun....it looks black, dark green, or dark blue. I actually really like it...even better than tuxedo black.

Me too, joey628; Dark Side seems to have a bit more "personality" to it. Congrats on the new Explorer - when will you be sharing pictures with us? (Hint, hint.) :D

... I really liked that Dark Side is conservative, but sort of has a "stealth mode" feel to it.

I think you're on to something, kirstenb; maybe we should start calling Dark Side by its new nickname: Stealth Mode! ;)

Crystal

Back