1998 Explorer XLT 5.0 Ignition Issues - HELP! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer XLT 5.0 Ignition Issues - HELP!

TurboPh1sh

Reaction score
City, State
VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey all,

I have been on this forum using the plethora of knowledge to learn about and enjoy my explorer.

However at this point, I need help!

I just replaced my 5.0 with a factory replacement since the first one went south.

I go to start it up and find that I am getting 2 codes. P0352 and P0353.

I test spark on the coil packs and find that the whole rear row of the coil packs (cylinders 4 7 3 5) aren't producing spark. No problem. I have a spare set of coils to swap.

I swapped out the coils and same exact symptoms, whole rear row isn't producing spark.

Everything else with the car runs fine.

At this point I don't know what to do and need some guidance.

I looked up threads but no one seemed to have the same issue.

It just seems so weird that the rear row isn't firing, and its consistent between 2 sets of coil packs which use 2 different plugs to get power from the PCM.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks! :chug:

There are 4 leads from the PCM to the coils to fire them. Seems that two of yours are not working. Wiring or software.

The PCM provides grounds to operate the coils.

If you've lost the rear pair of banks, either there's a wiring problem or there's a problem with the PCM and it can no longer trigger the banks.

First thing would be to trace the wiring between the PCM and the coils. Since it appears a single fault has taken out two circuits, maybe one of the grounds between the PCM and body?

Maybe as simple as some corrosion at a connector or physical damage from chafing.

If the wiring all looks good, it'd probably time to abandon the PCM.

Swapping the PCM should be plug and play -- PAT's is external to the PCM so any '98 or '99 PCM should light the fires.

Thanks all for the help.

I found the issue....

Pulled the ecu connector out and found 2 pins were crushed behind the plug on the ECU.

I guess I wasn't too careful putting the connector back on...:mad:

A couple of minutes on the bench straightening out the pins and putting the ecu and plug back in CAREFULLY, the car fired up and ran smooth as butter.

ugghhh sometimes its the simplest things.

Back