rough idle, loss of power under acceleration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rough idle, loss of power under acceleration

SPLplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Strasburg VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer xlt
so this issue has been going on for 2 months now, im having an intermittent miss, it will have loss of power under acceleration and going up hills and when i really give it gas to get going it just hesitates and you can hear the exhaust making a type of hissing noise but its not a constant hissing more like a rapid hissing, then it will run fine at other times, ive replaced the coil pack and changed my intake manifold because it seemed like a vacuum leak but that didnt help and i also did a current ramp on my fuel pump and it was ok and i juss changed my plugs, wires, and fuel pump about 10,000 miles ago also there are 2 DTC's they are p0103 and p0105 which are cylinder 3 and 5 misfire, please help

p.s. im starting to wonder if i have clogged cats because at start up there is a really bad rattle that sounds like its coming from the cats and today i smelled the rotten egg smell when it was missing while i was trying to get on the highway

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there are 2 DTC's they are p0103 and p0105 which are cylinder 3 and 5 misfire
You did mean p0301 and p0501, correct?

i juss changed my plugs, wires
I would double check those two plugs and wires.

You did mean p0301 and p0501, correct?

I would double check those two plugs and wires.

yah i got the numbers and letters mixed up but it ran fine for like 8 months so how could they already be bad?

yah i got the numbers and letters mixed up but it ran fine for like 8 months so how could they already be bad?
Damaged or cracked ceramic, improperly gapped, mixed wires, etc.
Did you use Motorcraft or Autolite plugs at the recommended gap?

Damaged or cracked ceramic, improperly gapped, mixed wires, etc.
Did you use Motorcraft or Autolite plugs at the recommended gap?
yes i used motorcraft and gapped them but this seems more like a fuel delivery issue to me than spark related because it is very intermittent

P0301 through P0310 - Misfire Detection Monitor The misfire detection monitor is designed to monitor engine misfire and identify the specific cylinder in which the misfire has occurred

Oops, I meant p0301 and p0305. Just seems to be the first logical step to check #1 and #5 plugs and wires.
Easy enough to pull, unlike the PITA rear passenger #3 plug. Better than just throwing in parts like injectors. GL

Back