3rd Gen Limiting Straps install

Ronin8002

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 XLT Ironman
Just wanted to post up pics and a quick rundown of a basic limiting strap install for the 3rd Gens. I think the install might vary a bit depending on what size spacers you're running and what type of upper control arms you have, but in general, I think this will work for most setups I've seen around here.

I'm running a pretty mild spacer lift, only 1.25" front and 1" rear, but in the front the uniball cup of my BTF upper control arms still hits the springs at full droop:

IMG_6254.jpg

So I bought a set of 12" limit straps with mounting brackets from Ruffstuffspecialties.com. Here's what a strap looks like with all the hardware. The length measurement is from mounting hole to mounting hole:

IMG_6272.jpg

Next, I used a wire wheel to clean all the paint off the points where I planned to weld the brackets. I also disconnected the upper control arm, removed the strut, and removed the swaybar end link to get the room I needed:

IMG_6255.jpg

Next I welded one of the brackets to the lower control arm:

IMG_6256.jpg

I spray painted it after it cooled down.

Then I hooked up one end of the limit strap to the lower control arm and reinstalled the strut and upper control arm. I drooped the supension out until the upper control arm was just a hair away from touching the spring. Then I moved the other end of the limit strap up to the upper mounting point and marked where it needed to be welded. I actually ended up moving it even farther up after I took the pic since the limiting straps will stretch 1" for every 12" of strap from what I am told. This turned out to be pretty accurate. So basically droop your suspension out to just before you have spindle to spring or control arm to spring contact. Stretch out the strap and mark where the upper edge of the bracket goes. Then go 3/4" to 1" further than that.

IMG_6257.jpg

Then I disconnected the upper control arm and removed the strut again. I then welded the upper bracket in place and spray painted it. My vertical position welds are ugly as hell so I am not posting the unpainted pics...the painted ones are bad enough, lol. The welds do seem strong though (survived being hit by a sledge several times) so I think they'll work fine:

IMG_6258.jpg

Then I put the strut and upper control arm back in for the last time. I also reconnected the swaybar link. Bolted in both ends of the limit strap and drooped out the suspension. The strap stretched tight and the uniball cup no longer touches the spring:

IMG_6264.jpg

Couple of more shots with it drooped out:

IMG_6267.jpg

IMG_6265.jpg

And what it looks like with the tire on and the weight of the vehicle resting on the ground:

IMG_6269.jpg

IMG_6271.jpg

The other side of the vehicle went pretty much the same way.

The straps are pretty stiff so they don't flap around much with no tension. When they are fully stretched they are very tight though...you can flick them and they sound like a drum!

Look forward to giving these things a workout in the next few weeks and I'll report how they held up.

Little warmer outside today, after I was done I had an ice cold one of these...

IMG_6273.jpg

Thanks Wills05XLT4x4!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great writeup, will have to do this soon.

This is on my to-do list as well. Are there any points to mount a limit strap to already? Or will it be necessary to weld the brackets on?

This is on my to-do list as well. Are there any points to mount a limit strap to already? Or will it be necessary to weld the brackets on?

I wasn't able to find any other place to put them where they wouldn't get in the way of something else. A 2wd might be easier since there wouldn't be any front CV shafts to work around.

If you don't want to weld you could fab up an l-shaped bracket (using angle iron or something maybe) and drill a hole on one leg of it for the strap to mount to. Then on the other leg of it drill another hole to mount it to the frame. For mounting you could drill a hole in the frame and lower control arm and just bolt your brackets on that way.

Ronin8002 said:
For mounting you could drill a hole in the frame and lower control arm and just bolt your brackets on that way.

Bingo.

Great write up James I really like how these turned out...
Glad you enjoyed the cheerwine :)

Oh god....now he knows how to weld...an SAS is inevitable now

Nice work james! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the comments all, I hope this will help out some of other guys looking to do this mod.

Oh god....now he knows how to weld...an SAS is inevitable now

Nice work james! :thumbsup:

Lol, if by "inevitable" you mean "sometime in my lifetime", then sure :D

Thanks for the comments all, I hope this will help out some of other guys looking to do this mod.

Lol, if by "inevitable" you mean "sometime in my lifetime", then sure :D

Nice man! Well done on the limit straps. You know you get to help me with rock sliders, now that you've got those welding skills.

Thanks for the write up James!

How much lift requires such a mod?

How much lift requires such a mod?

Any strut spacer lift over 1" in height will cause the spindle to hit the spring as the suspension flexes out. The taller the spacer, the more likely it is to happen. I would say if you are offroading at all with any spacer lift it's a good idea.

I definitely will just thought it was worth a shot to check with people here. Maybe it was known that they are the same part

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Different part numbers. Call anyway. LOL ;)
FEx-uua ('95-'01) vs. FEx-uua-02 ('02-'05)

Back