HOW TO: V8 "Cold" Air Intake for under $50 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HOW TO: V8 "Cold" Air Intake for under $50

50capriman

Reaction score
City, State
Troy, Mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Explorer V8 4x4 EB
So this is my first post here. Figured I would help some people out that don't want to spend the arm and a leg that K&N wants for their intake. I am a mustang guy that recently got the explorer for a family DD. Seeing as how the Explorer 4.6 and Mustang 4.6 share quite a few parts I wanted to see if I could modify a Mustang CAI to work. This thread is not to start a debate of weather or not CAI's are worth it or if you like the product used. It is simply to show it can be done and professional looking for little money. I am not responsible for any damage or personal injury. Here are the results.

Tools needed:
Screwdrivers
10mm deepwell socket with ratchet
10mm wrench
sawzall or bandsaw
file(optional)
vice
drillbit and drill

Parts needed:
99-04 mustang cold air intake kit. Can pick up on ebay for under $50. Here is the one I used. Intake
Longer bolts for the plate mounts
Some nuts to use as spacers (can use washers as well)

Step one: Disconnect battery, Remove old intake and air box

Step two: Remove maf sensor from stock air box lid

Step three: Attach Maf sensor and silicon coupler to new intake tube loosely for mockup
0319C5BC-11F6-492D-8C54-9F5C8BFBE530_zpsceym9n2t.jpg

Step four: Slip the silicon coupler onto the intake pipe that goes to the throttle body and slip it onto the throttle body without clamps for mockup

31D25377-F92C-460E-84AB-CA11D6737786_zpsg0gd58pp.jpg

Step five: Take the support plate that comes with the kit. Place it in a vice and bend the L at the bottom of the plate 180 degrees to make it a mirror of its current configuration. The pic is before bending.

93987987-1028-4FB6-BE28-FA7A3AF4263D_zpsvrlwmw4p.jpg

Step six: Take the modified support plate and mock it up to the existing air box mounting grommets. The mounting hole closest to the firewall will work just fine. I used two nuts between the plate mount and plate as spacers for this hole. The next hole will not line up so you will need to drill a new hole to line up with the other factory grommet. This mount will require more spacers due to the design of the fender apron. Once modified push the support plate into the grommets.

Step seven: Mark both pipes where they need to be cut, remove maf and couplers and cut pipes

30B30F1D-6EFD-4729-8F14-F8B6D64A615D_zpssjnuicqf.jpg

Step eight: Slip the tube with the MAF sensor attached through the support bracket.

Step nine: Install the throttle body tube to the throttle body and maf sensor and secure clamps

E0A0271C-F29D-4DF4-BB6A-93E65D70F10C_zpsdpke1anx.jpg

You may have to run the coolant hose to the degas bottle over the top of the intake tube so it doesn't rub on the bolts for the maf sensor. The ideal fix would be to run a longer hose. Some may not have to do this.

AC13D010-EA8E-4765-AF62-7BCC93BCEC85_zpstdl10wp2.jpg

Step ten: Install Air filter, pcv hose, and IAC valve breather hose. Hook battery back up.

6AD4A9A5-417E-4BDA-9B1D-15F355EC7D07_zpshlecolac.jpg

Finished

941D78EB-5E06-4B5D-9033-4ED4BE3A5B34_zpsigso5bx9.jpg

Let me know what you think. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow over 100 views and not a single comment. Any questions or comments are appreciated. At least someone to tell me that I didn't completely miss a better less expensive intake setup. lol

Great job and thanks for the write up!!! This should help others who don't want to spend a fortune on CAI.

Welcome to EF!!!

Looks great! I was looking to do something like this is the spring.

Thanks guys. Just figured I would pass on a economical setup. I have gotten some good info from here so far.

So I have run through a few tanks of fuel after the intake. So far I have seen an increase of 1.8 mpg with no changes in driving habits. Highway mileage has gone up to 18.6. Better throttle response and it just sounds cool. Mileage should go up even more when it warms up

I'm curious with the position of your throttle body if the same setup would work for the 4.0 v-6.

This won't work for the 4.0 but there are plenty of kits available on eBay specifically for the 4.0

Your coolant is black.. Just saying.

After having it on a little bit longer have you noticed any change in your MPG? I have been having issues with my MPG and have been looking at all available options that aren't going to break the bank so I'm open to any and all ideas , this one included .

Tmugz

Back