• Register Today It's free!

Loud exhaust/muffler for 4.6 v8

03explorer90

Reaction score
City, State
Burlington, North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer EB
What's the best setup if I want loud? I don't want tips. I prefer stock piping or going dumped after the rear axle with turndowns where you can't see it. I am either thinking no muffler, si/do single chamber such as fm 10 or cherry bomb extreme. I want dual out just incase I ever want duals at some point. What is yalls opinions?

Sound clips are welcome

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The off-road x-pipe has always sounded good to me on the 4.6, but I would highly recommend taking the pipes all the way back. If they dump under the passenger compartment it is highly likely that it will be fumigated by exhaust gasses at a stop.

I had them dump it at the rear driver wheel where the tailpipe dives down near the spare they basically just cutoff the existing stock pipe

I had a 40 series Flowmaster that was dumped and it was stupid loud for me. Ended up tossing a 70 series in and routing out the back in stock location and it's perfect. Offers a nice growl and you can still have a conversation.

would adding some sort of tip change the tone or loudness of my setup? i know pinched tips make more of a pop, would adding a 3.5-4" tip make it any louder. right now i just have a si/so single chamber with the stock pipe cut off where it bends down behind the spare tire

Bigger and longer pipes usually equal to louder and deeper.
3 inch catback is as big as you want to go since it will hurt performance, low end torque, a bit yet give a louder tone.
2.5 inch is ideal and plenty loud without tickets.
H-pipe is deeper and x-pipe is raspy.
Nice 3-4 inch diameter and 12-15 inch long tips with an x-pipe is one mean combo.
I love Magnaflow, Pypes and Borla mufflers.
YouTube is always good to get an idea!

How would I run a xpipe? I thought explorers were tricky with dual exhaust.

To be very honest with you, I'd have a muffler shop have a gander and give an opinion.
Based on what they say, you could take it from there.
Ultimately, whichever you choose, the h and x really are for scavenging between cylinder banks.
The Magnaflow offroad x is a very compact unit so that should allow you to run all the pipes under the driver side.

I've got a cherrybomb glasspack on my 4.6,pretty loud and sounds good, pretty sure I have the 18". Plus it was only like $28 online.

How do you have your glasspack setup? Running stock location and pipe? Tip?

Could you send me a video of it? I can message you my number and you can text it to me or load one up here

Back