2009 Explorer = Throttle Body Assembly | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2009 Explorer = Throttle Body Assembly

Patricelee12

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Hi - has anyone had to have their throttle body assembly replaced? Dealer says it is throwing erratic signals and does not know when to shift. Just looking to see if anyone has had to replace and how much it was. Dealer wants $165 for labor and $449.94 for the part. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Run from that dealer :)

I had mine out last week for cleaning. It's a 15 minute job, 4 bolts and some connectors.
Clean it first before replacing. I have cleaned mine twice in 188k miles and works fine.

No problem, just use a soft rag and TB cleaner or Carb cleaner, and do not spray any electrical connectors.
I believe the bolts are 8 mm.

Man, wish I could get someone to pay me $300 to do that job! I have also done this. I usually clean it when I replace the air filter. I also clean the mass air flow sensor, which is very easy. Don't use brake cleaner though, there is a special can of MAF cleaner made just for the job.

Spend $80 and replace the Throttle Position Sensor, this is usually where the problem is.

Make sure your TB cleaner is "SENSOR SAFE"...... Your TB should be cleaned roughly every other oil change. A good DRY air filter helps this as well, I prefer AMSOIL EA filters (drop in).

FWIW: erratic shifts associated with the TB, is usually a throttle position sensor on a 4.0 JEEP motor. I cant imagine the Ford being much different in terms of TPS symptoms.

Back