• Register Today It's free!

A/C compressor thump?

ramblinwreck

Reaction score
City, State
St. Simons Island, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 Eddie Bauer V8 w/ NAV
I have noticed that there is a very pronounced "thump" coming from the front passenger side of my 06. It appears to be the A/C compressor engaging but I may be wrong. Has anyone else noticed this and should it be cause for concern?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have noticed that there is a very pronounced "thump" coming from the front passenger side of my 06. It appears to be the A/C compressor engaging but I may be wrong. Has anyone else noticed this and should it be cause for concern?

I heard the same sound but haven't tried to isolate it yet.. Does it only occasionally happen when you first start the truck up ?

I can hear my ac cycle, but I wouldn't call mine a thump...that is too severe (for mine). My 2001 Honda is much more noticeable.

Does the noise occur only in an AC mode, and if so, how often ( once every minute or two?) I would put it on Ac and the lowest fan speed, then open the hood and watch the center of the AC compressor pulley to see if the noise is at the same time as engagement.

Occasionally i have heard this as well, more so after starting the engine

I have had the same issue and it was taken care of at the dealer. Here is the TSB for the problem -

TSB
07-19-7 A/C COMPRESSOR THUMP NOISE - 4.6L

Publication Date: September 11, 2007

FORD: 2006-2008 Explorer
2007-2008 Explorer Sport Trac
MERCURY: 2006-2008 Mountaineer

This article supersedes TSB 07-12-7 to update the vehicle model years.

ISSUE:
Some 2006-2008 Explorer 4dr, Mountaineer and 2007-2008 Explorer Sport Trac vehicles equipped with a 4.6L engine may exhibit an intermittent thump or similarly described noise transmitted into the passenger compartment in A/C / Auto / Defrost modes, when the A/C compressor engages.

ACTION:
Follow Workshop Manual, Section 412-01 to replace the A/C suction accumulator and O-rings associated with the repair.

NOTE: A/C COMPRESSORS SHOULD NOT BE REPLACED FOR THIS CONDITION.

NOTE: THIS ACCUMULATOR SHOULD ONLY BE USED TO SERVICE THIS SYMPTOM. DO NOT USE FOR NORMAL A/C REPAIRS.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
6L2Z-19C836-B A/C Accumulator
1W1Z-19E889-LB A/C O-Ring

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
071907A 2006-2008 Explorer/Mountaineer, 2007-2008 Explorer Sport Trac 4.6L: Replace The Air Conditioning Suction Accumulator, Includes Time To Recover, Evacuate, And Charge The Air Conditioning System (Do Not Use With 19700A, 19700A18, 12650D6, 9600A) 1.0 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
19c836 42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2007 Ford Motor Company

I have had the same issue and it was taken care of at the dealer. Here is the TSB for the problem -

TSB
07-19-7 A/C COMPRESSOR THUMP NOISE - 4.6L

Publication Date: September 11, 2007

FORD: 2006-2008 Explorer
2007-2008 Explorer Sport Trac
MERCURY: 2006-2008 Mountaineer

This article supersedes TSB 07-12-7 to update the vehicle model years.

ISSUE:
Some 2006-2008 Explorer 4dr, Mountaineer and 2007-2008 Explorer Sport Trac vehicles equipped with a 4.6L engine may exhibit an intermittent thump or similarly described noise transmitted into the passenger compartment in A/C / Auto / Defrost modes, when the A/C compressor engages.

ACTION:
Follow Workshop Manual, Section 412-01 to replace the A/C suction accumulator and O-rings associated with the repair.

NOTE: A/C COMPRESSORS SHOULD NOT BE REPLACED FOR THIS CONDITION.

NOTE: THIS ACCUMULATOR SHOULD ONLY BE USED TO SERVICE THIS SYMPTOM. DO NOT USE FOR NORMAL A/C REPAIRS.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
6L2Z-19C836-B A/C Accumulator
1W1Z-19E889-LB A/C O-Ring

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
071907A 2006-2008 Explorer/Mountaineer, 2007-2008 Explorer Sport Trac 4.6L: Replace The Air Conditioning Suction Accumulator, Includes Time To Recover, Evacuate, And Charge The Air Conditioning System (Do Not Use With 19700A, 19700A18, 12650D6, 9600A) 1.0 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
19c836 42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2007 Ford Motor Company

Man that's great. Thanks for sending me this info. I'm calling to set up an appointment today.

Thanks! My dealer previously told me this is "normal".

Thanks! My dealer previously told me this is "normal".

Talked to my dealer because i keep hearing the thump from the A/C and they said that it was "normal and not to worry," they also told me that if i have a problem and it breaks its covered under the warranty.:D

my 95 ranger thumps too

1995 ranger xlt - I have heard this loud "thump" coming from my passenger side also usually within a few seconds after I switch on the A/C. It sure makes you look over there ...sounds like you were hit by something.

Well I have had my truck for 10 years and have heard this " thump " for most of those years -- only on occasion not always ...but until recently it has been happening more often. It does not sound " normal " but it has been doing it for years and my A/C works fine.

i`m not a mechanic but it does like something pressuring up and thumps. lol
mike :salute:

Back