• Register Today It's free!

Ranger bed removal.

Wagoneer

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger Ext. Cab
Is disconnecting the wiring, the fuel filler & removing the 6 bolts in the bed all that's required to remove the bed on a Ranger?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, hopefully your bolts ore not rusted to bad as they like to size up real good. Be sure you have a good impact gun or cheater bar. I tried grinding one off and it is a very tough steel.

Oh yeah you might need a hand to lift it off also as it is an awkward 150-200 pounds or so.

Bed removal

Thanks. I've ready made arrangements for help taking it off. Do you know what size the Torx bolts are that hold the bed on?

Bed removal

I hadn't thought of it. I'm going to remove it to replace the fuel filler neck assembly. I'll take few pics & make it a "How to" post.

BEFORE YOU START
shoot all the bolt at least 3 times with PB BLASTER let it soak in for 20 mins or so between shooting them then they sould come out relitively easy

Bed removal

Thanks, I'll add that to my prep list. I'm just waiting on my tax refund so that I can purchase the filler neck assy.

I found this thread while researching Ranger fuel filler replacement.

I just did my '95 Ranger Supercab 4x4. It was easier than I thought it would be. I did not completely remove the bed.

I put the rear axle on jack stands and removed the left rear wheel. I removed the gas cap and the three small screws that hold the filler to the bed. I removed the three bolts on the drivers side of the bed with a t-55 Torx bit. I loosened the other three so there was about a half of an inch between the head and the bed. I lifted the side of the bed and had my girlfriend place a piece of 2x4 and 4x4 stacked on the frame rail to hold the bed up. There was now plenty of room to remove the hose clamp holding the filler to the tank. I used a 1/4" drive 5/16" socket and a ratchet. The clamp is molded into the hose, loosen it thoroughly. The hardest part was pulling the crusty hose off of the tank.

My local Ford dealer wanted 400 SOME DOLLARS for the part. My local auto parts stores did not carry the part. I searched eBay for Ranger fuel filler and got an aftermarket one for $72 shipped. It is an exact replacement.

I only hope my motor mount replacement job is as easy. It looks somewhat difficult.

Bed removal

Thanks. I might try that. Sounds easier than complete bed removal.

When i took the bed off my 86 ranger, the bolts were so stripped i had to torch them out, then with the bed off i used a locking vise and spun them off, and got some new bolts from the junkyard

tbars4, your smog thread is very informative.

Since eBay item links soon expire, here is the seller's store that I bought the fuel filler from. Search the store for Ranger fuel filler.

http://stores.ebay.com/ePartPal

The part I received fit perfectly and was shipped rapidly. I would definitely buy another one from this seller.

Z3CHYD, what type of bolt heads do the first generation Rangers have? Are they just hex heads? I really like Torx head bolts. I have never had one strip as long as I was using a properly fitting bit. Now hex and allen heads are a different story....

I have a 00 Ford Ranger that I'm gonna need to get to the fuel tank. After readin to take the bed off is easier I think I might take that route. First though, I have a bed liner in mine, are the bolts ya'll are refering to seen from inside the bed or do ya have to go under to get em out?? Thanks.

Bolts are in the bed, just remove your bedliner. (hopefully, it's not a sprayed in type!)

Bolts are in the bed, just remove your bedliner. (hopefully, it's not a sprayed in type!)

Alright thank ya. Nah its the bolted down kind. I could lift it a lil to see a few bolt heads but didnt wanna take it apart to find out that wasnt them. Welp guess I got work to do...thanks again.

Are you having to remove the fuel tank or just replace the filler neck?

Are you having to remove the fuel tank or just replace the filler neck?
I actually took the tank off by droppin it a cpl months back and we know easy it is to re position it from underneath. Well I think I may of messed up the gas guage and I hope that maybe working from the top it will be easier to reposition everything. That and when I was in there before some of the hoses looked questionable..so gonna replace those too.

Just a heads up for those who havent removed the bed before. They are pretty light. Two people can lift it off no problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The worst part is fighting the rusted t-55 torx head bed mounting bolts. Besides that it's a 20min job.

Back