Known Issues / Special Service Messages for 2011 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Known Issues / Special Service Messages for 2011 Explorer

usranger80

Reaction score
City, State
Augusta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Base
I just wanted to post these here so you are all aware of these things, and they may help answer some questions you have now or in the future. I will only have access to these for another week or so but will update as they come out until then.

21737 2011 EXPLORER - CODES C1B00, U0131, U0100, U0001, U0121, AND/OR U0151
WHEN DIAGNOSING CODES C1B00, U0131, U0100, U0001, U0121, AND/OR U0151 ON 2011 EXPLORERS BUILT BEFORE 1/24/2011, CLEAR CODES AND WIGGLE TEST CONNECTER C139. IF CODES RETURN, BYPASS C139 FOR CIRCUITS VDB04 AND VDB05 USING THE SOLDER AND SHRINK TUBING METHOD FOUND IN SECTION 5 OF THE WIRING DIAGRAMS. THE CONCERN MAY BE INTERMITTENT AND ASSOCIATED WITH SPREAD TERMINALS AT PINS 24 AND 25.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 02/11/2011

21735 MODULE SWAP PRACTICES FROM VEHICLE TO VEHICLE, MAY CREATE A NON-RECOVERABLE MODULE CONDITION FOR 2010-2011 VEHICLES AND SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED.
WHEN DIAGNOSING/REPAIRING MODULE RELATED CONCERNS ON 2010-2011 F-150, EDGE/MKX, F-SUPER DUTY, EXPLORER VEHICLES, SWAPPING A KNOWN GOOD MODULE FROM A DONOR VEHICLE IS NOT RECOMMENDED DUE TO THE ARCHITECTURE OF THE MODULE. SWAPPING A MODULE FROM A DONOR VEHICLE WILL CAUSE A MODULE ERROR DUE TO THE VIN RECORDED INSIDE THE MODULE OF THE DONOR VEHICLE. PLEASE ENSURE ALL WORKSHOP MANUAL PROCEDURES ARE FOLLOWED WHEN DIAGNOSING THE CONDITION PRESENTED, PRIOR TO ALL MODULE REPLACEMENTS.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 02/09/2011

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

21725 2011 EXPLORER WITH AUTO PARK SCCM DTC C1B00
SOME 2011 EXPLORER VEHICLES BUILT ON OR BEFORE 1/18/2011 AND EQUIPPED WITH AUTO PARK MAY EXPERIENCE THE TRACTION CONTROL LIGHT COMING ON IF A TURN IS EXECUTED ABOVE 3 MPH (5 KPH) WITHIN 50 SECONDS OF STARTING THE VEHICLE. THE FOLLOWING FAULT CODES MAY ALSO BE SET: C1B00-08 IN THE STEERING COLUMN CONTROL MODULE (SCCM), C1B00-86 IN THE ANTILOCK BRAKE MODULE (ABS) MODULE FOR STEERING ANGLE SENSOR - SIGNAL INVALID, U0428-00 IN THE POWER STEERING CONTROL MODULE (PSCM) FOR INVALID DATA FROM STEERING ANGLE SENSOR MODULE (SASM), AND U0418-68 IN THE CRUISE CONTROL MODULE (CCM) FOR INVALID DATA RECEIVED FROM THE ABS MODULE. REPLACING THE SCCM MAY NOT RESOLVE THE CONDITION. ENGINEERING IS AWARE OF THE ISSUE AND A SOFTWARE UPDATE IS BEING DEVELOPED. CONTINUE TO MONITOR OASIS FOR UPDATES.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 02/07/2011

21715 2011 EXPLORER DVD HEADREST INSTRUCTION INSERT WEBSITE NAVIGATION
CLARIFCATION 2011 EXPLORER DVD HEADREST INSTRUCTION SHEET ON HOW TO FIND THE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS ON THE ACCESSORIES WEBSITE. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS TO GET TO THE ACCESSORIES HOME PAGE. ONCE YOU ARE AT THE ACCESSORIES HOME PAGE, THE "RELATED LINKS" PULL DOWN IS LOCATED IN THE UPPER RIGHT CORNER OF THE WEB PAGE. CHOOSE "FORD LICENSED ACCESSORIES" AS DIRECTED. THE "INSTALLATION" LINK IS LOCATED AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE BETWEEN THE "FAQ" AND "WARRANTY" LINKS JUST ABOVE THE FORD LOGO..
EFFECTIVE DATE: 02/02/2011

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

21716 2011 EXPLORER/EDGE/MKX HIGH LEVEL CLUSTER BLANKS OUT
SOME 2011 EDGE, MKX, AND EXPLORER VEHICLES MAY EXPERIENCE THE LCD SCREENS ON THE BASE AND HIGH SERIES CLUSTER INTERMITTENTLY BLANKING OUT, AND THEN COMING BACK ON AFTER AN IGNITION KEY CYCLE. REPLACING THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER WILL NOT CORRECT THE CONCERN. DO NOT ATTEMPT INSTRUMENT CLUSTER SERVICE FOR THIS CONDITION AS REPLACEMENT PARTS WILL FUNCTION IN THE SAME FASHION. ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT CYCLING THE IGNITION WHILE STOPPED AND IN 'PARK' WILL CLEAR THIS CONDITION AND RESTORE THE DISPLAY. IF THE ISSUE IS DIFFERENT THAN WHAT IS DESCRIBED ABOVE, CONTINUE WITH NORMAL DIAGNOSTICS. ENGINEERING IS AWARE OF THE ISSUE AND UPDATED CLUSTERS SHOULD BE AVAILABLE IN THE SECOND QUARTER OF 2011 TO ADDRESS THIS CONCERN. CONTINUE TO MONITOR OASIS FOR UPDATES.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 02/02/2011

21711 2011 EXPLORER POWER LIFT GATE OPENING HEIGHT
THE 2011 EXPLORER EQUIPPED WITH POWER LIFT GATE HAS A PROGRAMMABLE HEIGHT FEATURE THAT ALLOWS THE CUSTOMER TO SET THE OPENING HEIGHT OF THE POWER LIFT GATE. IF A CUSTOMER COMPLAINS THAT THE LIFT GATE DOES NOT OPEN ALL THE WAY, VERIFY THAT THE OPENING HEIGHT HAS NOT BEEN INADVERTENTLY PROGRAMMED TO A POSITION LOWER THAN EXPECTED. TO RESET THE OPENING HEIGHT TO FULL OPEN DO THE FOLLOWING: POWER OPEN THE LIFT GATE UNTIL IT STOPS. MANUALLY OPEN THE REST OF THE WAY TO THE 'FULL OPEN' POSITION. PRESS AND HOLD THE CONTROL BUTTON ON THE LIFT GATE UNTIL A CHIME IS HEARD, INDICATING THE NEW HEIGHT HAS BEEN PROGRAMMED. REFER TO THE 'DRIVER CONTROLS' SECTION OF THE OWNER GUIDE FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 02/01/2011

21706 KEY CODE NUMBER DOES NOT UNLOCK DOORS
SOME 2011 EXPLORERS BUILT BETWEEN 11/1/2010 AND 1/24/2011 EQUIPPED WITH INTELLIGENT ACCESS WITH PUSH BUTTON START MAY EXHIBIT A KEYLESS ENTRY CODE LISTED ON THE KEY CARD THAT DOES NOT UNLOCK THE DOORS. THIS CAN OCCUR IF THE BCM (BODY CONTROL MODULE) IS REPLACED AND RFA (REMOTE FUNCTION ACTUATOR) MODULE IS NOT RESET. PRIOR TO RESETTING, VERIFY THAT THE KEYPAD IS FUNCTIONING PROPERLY BY PRESSING THE 7/8 AND 9/0 BUTTONS TO LOCK THE DOORS (MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A KEY OUTSIDE THE VEHICLE). IF DOORS DO NOT LOCK, FOLLOW NORMAL DIAGNOSTICS FOR INOP KEYPAD. TO RESET THE RFA KEY CODE AND PAIR THE NEW BCM KEYLESS ENTRY CODE TO THE RFA, FOLLOW THE WORK SHOP MANUAL PROCESS IN SECTION 501-14. THE KEYLESS ENTRY KEYPAD CODE RESET PROCEDURE IS FOUND ON THE SCAN TOOL UNDER TOOLBOX-BODY-SECURITY.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 01/27/2011

21698 2011 EDGE/MKX AND EXPLORER - NAVIGATION - SD CARD FAULT
SOME 2011 EDGE/MKX AND EXPLORER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH MY FORD TOUCH/MY LINCOLN TOUCH AND NAVIGATION MAY EXHIBIT AN (SD CARD FAULT) DISPLAYED IN THE UPPER RIGHT HAND VEHICLE DISPLAY SCREEN. ONLY NAVIGATION EQUIPPED VEHICLES REQUIRE SD CARDS AND A CARD MUST BE PRESENT FOR NAVIGATION FUNCTION. ENSURE THAT THE SD CARD LOCATED IN THE GLOVE COMPARTMENT WITH THE OWNER INFORMATION IS REMOVED AND INSTALLED. THE SD CARD IS INSERTED INTO THE MEDIA HUB AND SEATED WHEN A CLICK IS HEARD. PUSHING THE CARD AGAIN WILL RELEASE IT FOR REMOVAL, ACCIDENTAL BUMPING OF THE CARD WILL RELEASE IT CAUSING AN SD CARD FAULT ERROR MESSAGE ANYTIME THE CARD IS MISSING. NAVIGATION CAN NOT BE ADDED TO VEHICLES THAT ARE NOT ORIGINALLY EQUIPPED AND INSTALLING AN SD CARD IN NON-NAVIGATION VEHICLES WILL NOT ENABLE FUNCTION.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 01/25/2011

21700 2011 EDGE/MKX/EXPLORER - INSTRUMENT CLUSTER - DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) U0253
SOME 2011 EDGE/MKX AND EXPLORER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH MYFORD TOUCH/MYLINCOLN TOUCH MAY EXHIBIT DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) U0253 STORED IN THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER. IF THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER TIME INFORMATION IS CONTINOUSLY DISPLAYED IN DASHES THEN FOLLOW WSM SECTION 413-01 PINPOINT TEST BA. IF NO INSTRUMENT CLUSTER TIME DISPLAY SYMPTOMS IN RIGHT HAND DISPLAY ARE PRESENT, DTC U0253 SHOULD BE IGNORED AND NO REPAIRS SHOULD BE PERFORMED. ENGINEERING IS INVESTIGATING CONCERN MONITOR OASIS FOR UPDATES.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 01/25/2011

21695 (SERVICE TIP)- 2011 FORD EDGE/EXPLORER AND LINCOLN MKX WITH MISSING NAVIGATION APPLICATIONS
2011 FORD EDGE/EXPLORER AND LINCOLN MKX VEHICLES ORIGINALLY EQUIPPED WITH NAVIGATION MAY BE MISSING NAVIGATION AFTER A MYFORD TOUCH/MYLINCOLN SOFTWARE UPDATE. NAVIGATION MAY BE MISSING IF PROGRAMMING FAILED, NAVIGATION APPLICATION WAS NOT SELECTED, OR THE FINAL INTEGRATED DIAGNOSTIC SOFTWARE (IDS) SCAN TOOL SCREEN WAS NOT COMPLETED. ONCE THE USB FLASH DRIVE PROGRAMMING COMPLETES IN THE VEHICLE AND OK IS PRESSED ON THE VEHICLE SCREEN THE USB FLASH DRIVE MUST BE REMOVED FROM THE VEHICLE USB PORT AND INSERTING INTO THE SCAN TOOL AND OK, MUST BE SELECTED ON THE SCAN TOOL TO COMPLETE THE PROGRAMMING PROCESS. TO CORRECT THIS CONDITION IT WILL BE NECESSARY TO PERFORM A STANDARD ACCESSORY PROTOCOL INTERFACE MODULE (APIM) PROGRAMMING PROCEDURE FOLLOWING WORKSHOP MANUAL (WSM) SECTION 415-00 AGAIN AND MAKE SURE THE NAVIGATION APPLICATION IS SELECTED.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 01/21/2011

21694 2011 EDGE/MKX/EXPLORER - ACCESSORY PROTOCOL INTERFACE MODULE REPLACEMENT (APIM) - PROVISIONING
SOME 2011 EDGE/MKX AND EXPLORER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH MY FORD TOUCH/MY LINCOLN TOUCH MAY EXPERIENCE A PROVISIONING/PARSER ERROR AND NO PROGRAMMING ACTION WHEN INSERTING A USB FLASH DRIVE INTO THE VEHICLE MEDIA HUB, FOLLOWING WORKSHOP MANUAL(WSM) SECTION 415-00 FOR APIM MODULE REPLACEMENT PROCEDURE. IF USB FLASH DRIVE PROGRAMMING DOES NOT START SHORTLY AFTER INSERTING THE USB DRIVE, REMOVE THE FLASH DRIVE AND RE-INSERT IT INTO THE MEDIA HUB. A PROVISIONING AND/OR PARSING FAILED ERROR WILL BE PRESENT AND THREE ICON/TABS WILL BE DISPLAYED ON THE SCREEN. SELECT SYNC APPS, INSTALL APPLICATION/UPDATES, BEGIN SOFTWARE INSTALLATION, AND SELECT YES FOR BEGIN INSTALLATION. ONCE COMPLETE THE VEHICLE DISPLAY WILL REMAIN UNCHANGED, REMOVE THE USB FLASH DRIVE, INSERT IT INTO SCANTOOL THEN PRESS OK ON THE SCANTOOL.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 01/20/2011

21664 2011 EXPLORER - EXITING TRANSPORT MODE
2011 EXPLORER VEHICLES ARE DELIVERED IN BATTERY SAVER TRANSPORT MODE. A MESSAGE MAY APPEAR IN THE CLUSTER MESSAGE CENTER, STATING VEHICLE IS IN TRANSPORT MODE. EXITING TRANSPORT MODE IS LISTED AS STEP 7 ON THE 2011 FORD EXPLORER PRE-DELIVERY SERVICE RECORD AND SHOULD BE PERFORMED JUST PRIOR TO CUSTOMER DELIVERY. TO EXIT TRANSPORT MODE THE IGNITION MUST BE IN RUN WITH ENGINE OFF, PRESS BRAKE PEDAL 5 TIMES AND PRESS HAZARD SWITCH 4 TIMES (ON, OFF, ON, OFF) WITHIN 10 SECONDS. IF NOT MANUALLY EXITED, TRANSPORT MODE WILL AUTOMATICALLY TURN OFF AFTER THE VEHICLE IS DRIVEN 75 MILES. NOTE: VEHICLES WITH PUSH BUTTON START CAN ACHIEVE IGNITION RUN MODE BY DEPRESSING THE START BUTTON TWICE WITHOUT DEPRESSING THE SERVICE BRAKE PEDAL.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 12/21/2010
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TSB
11-4-6 NOISE FROM FRONT BOLSTER AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 2/4/2011

Publication Date: April 4, 2011

FORD: 2011 Explorer

ISSUE:
Some 2011 Explorer vehicles built on or before 2/4/2011 may experience a flutter/growl/moan type noise from the front of the vehicle at highway speeds. The noise may be present at lower speeds depending on wind speed and direction. There may also be a slight vibration felt in the floor pan or related sheet metal during the noise concern. This may be due to the movement of a styrofoam insert located on the bolster just below the a/c condenser.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Detach lower fascia grille from fascia by pushing the grille toward the rear of the vehicle at each fastener location. Using a soft plastic wedge tool between the grille and the fascia will aid in the detachment of the grille. See Figure 1 for clip locations.

Figure 1 - Article 11-4-6

Once grille is detached, position it out of the way inside the fascia above the opening to gain access to the bolster area.
Verify that the styrofoam block below the condenser is clean and dry. Clean and dry it if dirty or wet. Sticky foam tape will need to be able to stick to the styrofoam block.
Remove the protective backing from the tape and apply the tape so half of it is directly under the edge of the condenser when stuck in place to the styrofoam block. It may be helpful to lay the foam tape on an angle to the condenser and roll the foam under the condenser edge. When installed properly, it should look like the cross section illustration. (Figure 2)

Figure 2 - Article 11-4-6

A/C Condenser
Foam Tape
Styrofoam Block Insert
Bolster
Reinstall fascia grille by gently pulling the grille towards the front of the vehicle at each clip location until the retainers lock into place.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
BB5Z-19C566-B Foam Tape

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
110406A 2011 Explorer: Install Foam Tape To secure Foam Block (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.3 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
8349 42

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stickied!! Thanks for putting this up!

Stickied!! Thanks for putting this up!

No problem, like I said I will update whenever I see a new one, but I only have the motorcraft subscription until the 13th of this month, and then I won't have access to them anymore.

Recall 11C15 seat recliner replacement:

ON edit by Jdraper, here's NHTSA's statement on the recall:

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has issued a notice on its website that Ford is recalling 1,658 new Explorers equipped with manual recline second row seats. The potential defect, which covers some Explorers built between July 15, 2010 and December 13, 2010, is the manual recliner mechanism on the 60 side of the 60/40 split second row bench seat. NHTSA says that the components are "out of dimensional specification," and that in the event of a crash the seat back may not provide the required strength to protect second row occupants.

Yes there was also the recall, I will post that entire message later too, but I think it can be found on fords website too.

The MyFord Touch issues are small fries and I'm willing to bet most can be fixed in short order by owners with a USB flash drive.

Most likely. Thankfully my touchscreen seems to be devoid of bugs (so far).

Looks like they inherited more than just the terrain response from Land Rover, lol. Never knew there were so many known issue so far.

Thanks so much for this info!

UPDATED 2/9/2011

I only have 4 days left till I lose access to these, sorry, will continue to update till then.

Thanks for the heads-up, as I just purchace a 2011 Explorer with every available option that Ford has to offer. I find it little disconcerting that there appears to be so many issues with this vehicle.

Hoping someone may know about any recent tsb's this week? We were supposed to take delivery of our explorer today and i got a message last night that they cant because of a tsb for a "plug". He says that ford will not let any delivery take place with an open tsb. Something doesnt sound right and i cant find anything on google. Any help is appreciated.

Is it a limited. It may be the plug in the back. My son put his back pack in there. When he did he knocked the 110 V lose and the metal became exposed. He got a pretty good shock when he touched it. He's 15 and it made him cry. He hit it pretty good with his bag. It just clips back together, pretty easy to fix. Cheers

Ford responsiveness

Just picked up a new 2011. Some nagging issues with Nav system and few other things which are computer related but overall very happy. Those that have had Ford with nav and other systems can comment maybe on Fords responsiveness to these issues. Will they just get fixes as and when I bring in the vechicle for regular maintenance?

Hoping someone may know about any recent tsb's this week? We were supposed to take delivery of our explorer today and i got a message last night that they cant because of a tsb for a "plug". He says that ford will not let any delivery take place with an open tsb. Something doesnt sound right and i cant find anything on google. Any help is appreciated.

So after a few calls today, the tsb or so the dealer is calling it is for a drain or plug in the dual roof that could cause a leak. Anyone heard of this yet?

Is it a limited. It may be the plug in the back. My son put his back pack in there. When he did he knocked the 110 V lose and the metal became exposed. He got a pretty good shock when he touched it. He's 15 and it made him cry. He hit it pretty good with his bag. It just clips back together, pretty easy to fix. Cheers

Wow! Makes me a bit concerned with my 8 y.o. boy- you know how (un)intentionally destructive they can be. I'll give the kids a warning about the outlet. Thanks for sharing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So after a few calls today, the tsb or so the dealer is calling it is for a drain or plug in the dual roof that could cause a leak. Anyone heard of this yet?

I have the dual panel moon roof....there isn't a "plug" anywhere.

Back