Yet another Towing Capacity ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Yet another Towing Capacity ?

I am looking at 06-08 used Explorers and am having an awful time getting a feel for a vehicle's tow rating. Is there an easy way to, at a distance or over the web, determine an Explorer's tow rating?

I've got a boat that weighs 3500 on the trailer with gas and moderate gear load.

I know the base, 1 1/4 hitch is good for 3500. So, that's not going to work for me. Curiously, I've seen this hitch on both 8 and 6 cylinder engines.

I see some V6s that come with a factory 2" hitch and 7 pin plug, is it safe to assume that's a class 3 package and is rated at 5k lbs?

Ideally I'd chose a V8 but, that's proving a bit tough to track down.

Does anyone tow something in the 4k lb range with a class 3 equiped Exp? How does it do? If I go the v6 route, will I regret it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Page 239 of the Owner's Manual for a 2007 Explorer:
Dead Link Removed

Attachments

• towrating.GIF
    towrating.GIF
    16.9 KB · Views: 3,751

The link didnt work for me, thanks for inserting the image.

I understand that the tow rating of a current 4x4 v6 Exp with the 3.73 rear end is 5000+. That gives me plenty of overhead.

I find the rear end ratio hard to spot as i peruse ads on the web. Is there a vin code or visual queue (like the 7 pin receptcacle or 2" receiver) I can use to determine a vehicle's capacity?

The link didnt work for me, thanks for inserting the image.
Ah sorry, yeah no worky. I edited the link but you have to select from the dropdown field.

If the Ex has a 1-1/4 hitch it should have the 3.55's and if it has the larger 2" hitch, it should have 3.73's according to that pic, no?

I am planning on purchasing a travel trailer that will have about 5000lbs dry weight. Can an explorer handle this?

The tow rating on the base Exp with the class 2 hitch is 3500lb regardless of engine.

If your truck has a V6 and the class 3 tow package with the 3.73 gears (apparently discernable via the factory 2" receiver and 7pin electrical connector) you can pull about 5200lb.

With a V8 and the class 3/4 tow package you can pull about 7200lbs

You also need to be concerned with the GCVW (Gross Combined Veh Weight) That's the total of your Exp, all the people and crap in it and the total trailer weight. For the v8 that's about 12k lbs. For the v6, 10k lbs. The empty Exp weighs about 4600. Add a couple folks, some folding chairs and cooler full of your favorite beverage; it adds up quick.

In your case, a trailer with 5k dry weight could easily top 6k by the time it's loaded with propane, water, pots and pans, etc. The truck with 4 people and some weekend stuff could easily weigh 5500.

You'll almost certainly be over weight on the V6 and will, likely, be fine with a Class 3/4 V8.

What happens if you pull over weight? The brakes, tires, tranny, suspension and engine are beyond their design limits and may fail prematurely. You could have trouble controling the load. You won't burst into flame immediately but, you are taking a risk Ford doesn't want any part of.

If the Ex has a 1-1/4 hitch it should have the 3.55's and if it has the larger 2" hitch, it should have 3.73's according to that pic, no?

If it's a V-6, yes. However, all the V-8s will have the 3.55.

The tow rating on the base Exp with the class 2 hitch is 3500lb regardless of engine.

If your truck has a V6 and the class 3 tow package with the 3.73 gears (apparently discernable via the factory 2" receiver and 7pin electrical connector) you can pull about 5200lb.

With a V8 and the class 3/4 tow package you can pull about 7200lbs

You also need to be concerned with the GCVW (Gross Combined Veh Weight) That's the total of your Exp, all the people and crap in it and the total trailer weight. For the v8 that's about 12k lbs. For the v6, 10k lbs. The empty Exp weighs about 4600. Add a couple folks, some folding chairs and cooler full of your favorite beverage; it adds up quick.

In your case, a trailer with 5k dry weight could easily top 6k by the time it's loaded with propane, water, pots and pans, etc. The truck with 4 people and some weekend stuff could easily weigh 5500.

You'll almost certainly be over weight on the V6 and will, likely, be fine with a Class 3/4 V8.

What happens if you pull over weight? The brakes, tires, tranny, suspension and engine are beyond their design limits and may fail prematurely. You could have trouble controling the load. You won't burst into flame immediately but, you are taking a risk Ford doesn't want any part of.

Good answer. Well said.

In short, the thing to look for with either the V6 or V8 is the FACTORY class-III hitch. That virtually ensures that it has the Class-III trailer towing package, which is what you'll need.

For a 5000 lb load, I wouldn't get anything less than the V-8, and would seriously consider an Expedition if it's going to be pulled regularly. It'll honestly be a MUCH better tool for the job. The Explorer, while rated to pull it, isn't going to like it very much, wheras the Expedition will drag it all over hell and back with nary an issue.

But that's just me... I like bigger trucks anyways. :)

So.. I bought an 07 V6 Explorer with the factory class 3/4 tow package. It's a pretty decked out Eddie Bauer with low miles and the price was right.

I towed my boat a couple hundred miles this weekend, much of it in the mountains. There were 5 people, a canoe, the boat and a bunch of crap in the boat and Explorer so, we were probably close (within 500lb) to the GCVW limit.

The truck did fine, not as much power as my Durango but, it had no trouble holding 50+ on long, steep climbs. No overheating and no signs of transmission fatigue. The truck's structure is more rigid and, over all, it handled the load better than my Durango.

Thanks for your input

I have a 06 Explorer Ltd V-8 with the towing package that I have towed my 8000 pound boat/trailer and my buddies larger boat interstate and intrastate and haven't had any towing issues in 40K miles. The Explorer is more capable than many want to believe. I have owned an Ex with the V-10 and a Suburban 2500 with the vortec 454 and the Explorer isn't an equal but definitely holds it own.

Hi guys, this might sound stupid, but I would like to know if I have a V6 Limited 2007 what ratio am I looking at ? Thank you in advance.

Yeah sorry about that it has 4x4 package.

How can I tell a part the towing class in the chart above ? because I have the 2" mount hole for the ball and the multi pin connector. Thanks again in advance.

If you have a class 3 hide a hitch with the 7 pin adapter, and a electron brake controller plug under the steering column, you have a towing package and the 373. If not its the 355s. You could also run the vin and see what options it came with to be 100% sure. If you do a search there is a link to a checker somewhere in the forums.

I've been towing a 27' camper, loaded to just over 5000 lbs with the Mounty for several years now, including a 2-week tour of Michigan's Upper Peninsula. It's a great combination. Loaded to go, we use about 11,000 lbs of my 12,000 lbs GCVWR.

We wanted this size for easier driving around town, and it fits in the garage. Not too many vehicle this size have this much capability anymore.

Back