My headlights stay on too long. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My headlights stay on too long.

Hi people, my lights stay on a bit longer than they used to and I am pretty sure that they are draining my battery to the point of replacement now. I replaced the starter anyways, even though it didn't fix the problem. The slow start only occurs after I shut it off in low-light conditions. The automatic setting and timer after shut off is something I would like to remove completely. Anyone know how to do this? Very much appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On my 2001 the switch is on the rearview mirror. Just turn it all the way to the left to turn off.

On my 2001 the switch is on the rearview mirror. Just turn it all the way to the left to turn off.

Did this help your problem? Also maby your light sensor is covered or really dirty and is not sensing the light.

mine is the same way... the farther right you have the switch slid the longer the stay on. if you move it all the way to the left but not have it click, it keeps the automatic lights on and cuts them off right when you turn off the car.

Thanks

I wanted to thank each of you for replying. I did move the swithch and it worked. Turnes out the battery does need to go, too. Simple fix-but if you don't know...ask. Thanks again everyone. Jason

I am having this same problem with my EX, however in my case, I do have the switch all the way to the left (off position) and the lights still stay on an extended amount of time, before finally turning themselves off. I no longer have the option to choose between using the auto lights or not. Probably the switch in the mirror needs replaced?

When mine stared doing that I pulled the fuse for the auto lights. I don't remember which fuse & I don't have my Mountaineer anymore.

Back