M90 rebuild (rudy) | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

M90 rebuild (rudy)

well figured i would start a new thread.just a quick background.did the whole build on my explorer but built it using stock head gaskets and head bolts.did it really as a safety net and i just couldnt afford head studs at the time.well to say the least i blew the head gaskets off from it wile i was in the mountains on a forum trip about two years later.

i picked up a 1994 ranger,its got the 4.0 OHV and is a 5 speed 2wd.the plan is to pull the motor out of the explorer and rebuild it.

this thread will basically cover the rebuild and build up of the new ranger.it will basically end up as a street race truck.ive named it Rudy:D:D so let the fun begin.
:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

UPDATE
new motor specs
BORE: 4" JE asymmetrical pistons (custom over bore)

20141031_163839_zpso5ifzafx.jpg

RODS: 6.058 Manley (longer rod)
20140226_134243_zpsdapxouhk.jpg

VALVES: IN-1.8 EX-1.5 Manley heavy duty (.150 over)
20160527_114556_zpsiohyyelp.jpg

20140515_162402_zpsftg0qlcd.jpg

20160313_161946_zpswgleqayt.jpg

20160318_160734_zpsxxxpuld8.jpg

Transmission:T5 hybrid from a 2006 Mustang and 93 Fox
HEADS: 93TM HEAVILY ported with custom brass guides and copper gaskets/O-ringed with ARP studs
CAM: 422 Comp cams with 988 springs and Toms custom lifters,push rods and 1.7 roller rockers
Complete blueprint and balanced internals
GM M90 supercharged with one 1" intercooler plates with ASP 8 rib belt conversion. .
pushing 16 lbs of boost with small shot of NOS
Running on E50
Dyno tuned by Dyno Tune Performance outa Virginia using SCT

old thread and pic
3800 M90 Build
ported and polished gm 3800 gen 2 m90
Water to air intercooled
port matched 76mm inlet and intake tube
mustang 75mm race tb
90mm maf
36lb injectors
255 fuel pump
sct 5bank dyno tuned
2.7" pulley 10lbs of boost!!;)
2012-06-09201057.jpg

2012-06-09201139-1.jpg

2012-06-09201207.jpg

and the new 1994 ranger 4.0 OHV 5 speed 2WD with 115,000 miles on it.o and i only paid $1,000 for it:shifty_ey
RUDY
IMG952013032295172932_zps77585c66.jpg

FB_IMG_1545061235211.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks nice. Probably a hell of a lot easier to maneuver in there too vs the original hard plastic.

Benjam :D

Thats the whole point.I needed it flexible so it wouldnt touch my down pipes.gonaa bend it up to the floor board and up the firewall.the old plastic comes straight out to frame rail..:( right where my pipe runs.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

So made some other videos. One of it reving and then open, then one of it smoking..

Have one issue tho I had to use clamps on the cutouts, not allowed to full weld but are allowed to tack.I didnt tack because figured clamps would be enough. Well they have spun slightly and the tail pipe hits the frame when reving hard..(also to note I have a broken trans mount AND a engine mounts, been to lazy to fix) BUT im going to throw some spot welds on it to keep it from spinning. .

Should have line in tomorrow, going to plate the firewall also.seemed to flex when pressing the clutch..

Pass smoking: http://youtu.be/KdffeU-FtkQ

4.0 true duals: http://youtu.be/rXZsrjHqwW4

********ok let me just throw this out there********

Any mods that have been done or will be done may not comply with your local laws,this is not a street truck any longer..it is a weekend track toy..you would need to research your own local laws to see what you can and cant do.....

Got the IC stacked.was pretty straight forward, just had to drill the threads out in one of them and get 2" bolts.what I will say and has me slightly concerned, is all the weight thats ontop of the lower intake..my mount is steel, these things combined are pretty heavy and then the charger..thats ALOT of weight and considering my lower is ported paper thin, plus the lower intake to block is famous for leaking:(I dont think I could put any bracing anywhere to try and distribute the weight, only thing I have now if from the tb mount to the head.

Last concern is the added 1"..in my explorer I had tons of room but had a 3" body lift.I know without the IC it fits under a ranger hood, dont know by how much tho, the previous owner had a ranger.i have never tried it with or with out IC..he said he had a couple inches of clearance, plus I added ruffly a 1.5-2" with my cowl hood so I """SHOULD"" fit..

one dual core 2" IC said to reduce temps around 160*+ depending on variables.I was seeing maxish of 140*ish at WOT @ 10 lbs of boost with ambient around 80*ish with one core IC..theoretically I should see ambient now till around 12-14 lbs of boost.that means tuning is going to be easy and we can really push it.my 2.7 pulley should now give me 15.31 pounds and my 2.5 pulley should give me 17.71 pounds..im probably not going to run the 2.5 tho, thats really spinning that thing fast..if 15ish pounds dont give me the power I need I always can up my nos shot

Any rate im getting EXCITED now!!;)
20140904_111951_zpslkont1bj.jpg

20140904_115346_zpsz9yrwfp2.jpg

20140904_115359_zpsvbjk5iqz.jpg

And purdy it up some..

20140904_163518_zpsdsfl3yzr.jpg

So the other night I heard a very disappointing sound..my passenger pipe fell off and almost dragged the ground..all three hanger broke on the passenger side and two broke on the drivers.thats 5 of 6 broke!!:( there REALLY wasnt much weight or tension on them either.

I have replaced them with heavy duty ones and tacked the cutouts to keep them from spinning. .im sooo mad I had to redo it and that I almost dragged my pipes..I would have been extremely pissed if I would have..lesson learned. .no cheap Chinese CRAP ever again!!!....

I wasted the whole weekend fixing them so didnt get my header panel installed so im now a week behind on the sc install!!:(

1 of 6 left!!:(

20140915_122537_zpsdul3kre2.jpg

What I replaced them with..
http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=121411898184

exhaust

Its a good thing you caught it when you did!
I checked out the link you posted and that looks like quality stuff. With those and tacking the cutouts it should hold real good.

Its a good thing you caught it when you did!
I checked out the link you posted and that looks like quality stuff. With those and tacking the cutouts it should hold real good.

Yea its in there good now.my fat ass could hang off them ;) I just hope the sound gets better with the new motor, you can definitely tell they are to big for stock

So got the passenger side valve seals and covers changed out..the seals were so bad that some were just moving around on there own..all had oil under the seal...also i have never seen these types of seals before.

The valve covers had been off before tho and someone lost the wings for the bolts.I picked up a spare set of covers and wings from my buddy..but its sealed up now and runs better than ever before..ill do the driverside when I put the charger on..

I also broke out the charger and gave it a bath and fresh coat of paint..hopefully tomorrow I can get the header panel in and heat exchanger mounted.I have to work sun:(

20140917_114138_zpstih46ane.jpg

20140917_154447_zpsw3gsk5tt.jpg

And finally got a good pic of the blue

20140919_183923_zpsxdsypkgl.jpg

Header panel is done.took a little bending and washers but went back in pretty nice.now the heat exchanger will fit so going to try and tackle that this week.I painted everything up but of course didnt take any pics..ill post some with the HE installed. .

Got a couple more gauges to mount and wire but hopefully the charger will go on this weekend ;)

20140920_133823_zps5gipvd53.jpg

Bend piece stopping me from mounting my HE

20140920_133729_zps4b1dhqmn.jpg

How it should look

20140920_133735_zpsz9va8z4u.jpg

Sure Does!

Ranger

Very Nice!

Thanks y'all. ..

Well CRAPP!!!! Just thought of a big problem and just talked to my tuner and confirmed it....I have talked to him previously and he said the chip and tune ""should"" just swap over being same motor and blahh blahh...well I forgot to tell him my ranger has TWO O2s and belive its batch fire injectors. ......the ex was a single O2 and belive its called sequential fire injectors. ....

I called to confirm this info and he did..soooooooo what that means is the tunes on the chip wont work as a plug and play deal..a whole NEW tune would have to be made.....my plan was to run what tune I had then once the new motor was done take it in for a ""tune adjust"" there is a HUGE difference in pricing from a ""tune adjust or whole new tune""

So long story short..im not putting the charger on till new motor is done :( im calling TODAY and ording the pistons..if Manley wont make them I know JE will!!!!

I am moving along with installing the HE, pump and gauges tho.I got the distribution blocks today will all my new fittings and hoses.going to try and mount the HE today..I ended up with 3/4" to two 3/8" and went with clear hose this time so I can see the flow..

20140923_135247_zpsfet1y3sj.jpg

Which "years" are you dealing with?

Older would be batch fire I think, and,newer with 2 o2 sensors would be sequential.

Look at the wiring harnesses to be sure. Batch fire injectors will all be the same color wiring per bank ( all injectors on one bank will have the same wire colors) sequential will have different colored wiring on each injector --except for the common wire which will be the same color on all injectors.

Which "years" are you dealing with?

Older would be batch fire I think, and,newer with 2 o2 sensors would be sequential.

Look at the wiring harnesses to be sure. Batch fire injectors will all be the same color wiring per bank ( all injectors on one bank will have the same wire colors) sequential will have different colored wiring on each injector --except for the common wire which will be the same color on all injectors.

My explorer was a 92 with one O2 and batch..ranger is a 94 with two O2 and sequential..if I knew it was going to be a problem I would have bought a 95 with obd2 and a hand-held, then sold my sct chip..I specifically buy a 94 because I was told it was the same and the chip with swap back and forth:mad: I PAID ALOT of money to have that thing tuned and now he has to start all over!!!!

Woooohoooo pistons are ORDERED! !!!! Manley was giving me the run aound on the min quantity that you can order. .when I ordered my valves he said he could do 6, then I cqlled back to get some specs and told me it was like 30 minimum qnd I just called again to only get a run around..

So I called JE pistons and talked to them about getting a prototype asymmetrical piston made.they were VERY helpful and sounded excited to make me a set..so they took all my specs and deposit. .they are going to meet with their team and get a cad drawing up.he said after the meeting they will call me back to confirm all the specs will work and discuss ring grove width and ring type..all said and done it came to $1,231.59.......just about where I was expecting. .thats for pistons, rings, pins and locks...

If you haven't seen or heard about the asymmetrical piston you should check them out.pretty cool idea and is pretty new so makes me slightly nervous. But if they do what they say ill be super excited to have the first set of protype 4" piston ever made...;)yes ever, they currently do not offer that piston for any motor in that size..I have a feeling they were already prototyping a 4" design as its pretty common size..

Have a look

Watch "JE Pistons Asymmetrical Design Overview" on YouTube
JE Pistons Asymmetrical Design Overview: http://youtu.be/Kk0UudoGG14

That LS1 sure seems to be the hot ticket in making good power easily.

Back