Manual trans shifter bushing replacement kit - one wavy washer or two? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Manual trans shifter bushing replacement kit - one wavy washer or two?

RangerX

Elite Ranger
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omao, Kauai
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT 4X4
Should there be two wavy washers? I just got a kit and there's only one.
From reading up on doing this, I see references to two springs, but it also looks like kits only come with one.
What's up with that?

Should be one wavy washer ("spring") and a washer with three tabs on it.

IIRC (going just by memory from a few years ago, since my FSM seems to have ignored this part of the trans :scratch: ), the wavy spring I think goes in first, then the washer with the tabs that fits around the lower shifter bushing (should have three notches on the bushing for the tabs to fit into), which then goes on top of the spring. Then the shifter stub, the upper bushing and then the top plate.

Thanks junkie!
My kit came with one wavy and no flat washers, and nothing with notches or tabs. Looking at pics of other kits online, I guess that's how they come now.
The directions spelled out the one wavy goes on the very top, so that's what I did. Things are tightened up on the shifter now. :)
What worried me was a Ford exploded parts diagram that showed flat, wavy, bushing, bushing, wavy, flat.

It's possible they changed it... (now that I think of it, it was maybe 12 years ago when I did mine)

I remember distinctly when I took mine apart (shifter began to get sloppy), I had found (along with some disintegrated bushing bits) two thin mangled rings in the bottom of the hole, one of which had the tabs on it. There were no instructions in my Ford kit, but it seemed logical the wavy spring washer would go between the flat (tabbed) washer and the trans case to maintain pressure against the bushings while keeping the tabs engaged in the notches.

I suspect it doesn't matter much either way though, it's a pretty simple assembly... as long as it's not sloppy or has play allowing the shifter stub to move around, it should be fine.

Back