popping noise in front | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

popping noise in front

red450ih

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
My '91 4WD has begun a popping noise when I go over speed bumps(in 2WD), what could this be? It is all stock with no lift and I rarely get it off of the pavement. Also, where can I get a top quality rebuilt or new steering box?

Thanks,
Keith

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My guess would be that it is a radius arm bushing, common problem and can be replaced fairly cheap

is it a clink, or a pop? mine makes a clink when i take off slowly and i was told it was my limited slip rearend. have you checked your u-joints lately? how about your hubs? it could even be your shocks, there's a million things.
um, try a junkyard for the steering. that would be the first place i look. the best deal your gonna get will probably be from a pull-it-yourself junk yard. good luck

Noisy

You may also want to check the upper and lower ball joints to see if they are worn out.

Thanks for the help. I haven't checked anything yet, just wanted to see if there was a certain area that should have been checked first. Olivesman, it's a pop. I have a open rear(no posi/limited slip). I thought about the junk yard for the steering box, but I would probably end up with one just as worn as mine. Well, time to go crawl under ole reliable! :)

its the radius arm bushings. get some performance urathane bushings so you dont have to do it again. there not that expensive.

Back