• Register Today It's free!

Throttle body spacer 97 5.0

Sbyrne97

Reaction score
City, State
Mason Neck, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
97' Mountaineer
What are my options of for throttle body spacer 97 Mountaineer 5.0 is there one made for our vehicles?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only thing you're going to accomplish is a lighter wallet. Don't waste your money on this mod. It does nothing. Search around the archives. The only people who claim they're getting something out of them can't really prove. They're just trying to justify a bad purchase decision. ;)

Agreed with above...save the $$ and spend it somewhere useful.

Instead of the Throttle Body Spacer, buy the Phenolic Intake Spacer. It adds a LOT more volume to the intake tract, and add a bit more torque down low.

It's about $70, and WELL WORTH IT.

Ryan

Thanks guys, intake spacer? how does this work, im assuming it goes underneath the intake and sits between the block and the intake? is this hard to install?

Thanks guys, intake spacer? how does this work, im assuming it goes underneath the intake and sits between the block and the intake? is this hard to install?

It goes between the upper intake & intake manifold. If you have an external EGR you will need a new longer EGR tube. I think Bob at Torque Moster is the only source for the EGR tube.

Intake spacers help if you have a performance exhaust added. When you put a low restriction exhaust on, you gain top end power, but lose some low end torque. The intake spacer effectively makes the intake runners longer, which gives you gains back in low end torque.

So basically the intake spacer allows more air flow resulting in a greater flow for low end torque? Where would you buy an intake spacer?

I did a search but only found a 4.0 thread

...nevermind i found a thread
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172258

Is there a difference between a heat spacer and intake spacer? sorry I just don't understand.

Consider the "Trick Flow" offering. It comes with all the hardware you need to make it happen. Remember that these spacers are designed with Mustang in mind, not Explorers. Not all come with the right bolts etc. Summit has them. That's the one I went with recently (installed the same time as my headers).

So basically the intake spacer allows more air flow resulting in a greater flow for low end torque? Where would you buy an intake spacer?

I did a search but only found a 4.0 thread

...nevermind i found a thread
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172258

Is there a difference between a heat spacer and intake spacer? sorry I just don't understand.

It's the same thing. By adding the one inch it reduces the amount of heat giving you a better atomization (denser) of fuel.

Thanks guys...really appreciate the info...Im slowly upgrading the engine...one of these days i want to pull it and do major work...but no time and money...I figure an intake spacer will help with some low end torque..which will help with the wear from the wheels on my engine...

Probably do this project in a few weeks...

410 what did you do for your coil pack? I didnt see it in the pics

Save your pennies for Torque Monsters then and do the spacer then. Easier to do them both at once. :D

Save your pennies for Torque Monsters then and do the spacer then. Easier to do them both at once. :D

And you get the longer EGR tube and coil tower extenders with them :D

it also keeps the upper intake MUCH cooler, resulting in slightly lower intake air temp = HP

Dont forget to get 2 additional of the longer bolts for the Gt-40 intake... you will also need to modify your coil pack mounting tripod a bit

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1461169&postcount=206

Longer bolts are not required if you buy the spacer that celly linked too, it comes with the right bolts. It's for a cobra intake, which is similar to what we have on the explorers.

I believe that's also the same that we installed on my truck back in '08 at Jon's as well. Take it from the other 5.0 guys you'd get much more outta the install if you go ahead and install the headers at the same time! I can't say how much they're well worth the money. I still can't get over them even to this day!

Thanks alot

Yeah i figure I want to do the headers first...thanks guys for all the help

Is the TMH 2.5 inch from the heads back? I never heard anyone talk about the size of the pipes...I only know the stock diameter is 2.25....I heard one of yall talking how 2.5 inch is the best setup for small block engines

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I remember correctly, someone can speak if I'm wrong. I don't like to assume but when we lopped off my rear cats the piping in front of the rear cats were 2.25'' and expanded to 2.5'' behind them. As far as the diameter of the header piping themselves I couldn't tell ya!

Back