Broken Outside Mirror | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Broken Outside Mirror

Unfortunately, today my brand new EX suffered the same "wife backing out of the garage" fate as the other EX owner in this thread. I haven't even made the first payment yet! grrrrrrrr!

Anyway, I went to the Ford genuine parts site and found the mirror I needed after entering in my VIN#. The driver mirror has blis, power, heated and memory so it came out to over $500 from Ford. :eek::eek:

Anyway, I found THIS ONE on Ebay for $270 with all the exact same model numbers as on Ford site for all the parts in the mirror. They have a 14-day return policy and lots of good ratings so I hope it's the correct mirror.

I thought I'd share my frustration and decent price score. I'll post back if it ends up being the right one.

I'm a pretty handy type of guy so I'm hoping it's not a tough DIY project. I'll soon find out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dj,

I purchased my mirror through Benny at Levittown Ford, who participates in the forum and will no doubt reach out to you. Benny offered free shipping and the piece was about $350 and I knew I was getting the correct part. But the real upside was that Benny provided the instructions for removing and replacing the damaged part. It was good client servicing all around.

This is why I bought by wife an Escape. It's much narrower getting in the garage.

Ercole

If you want a new part, got to Autonation Ford’s(White Bear Lake, MN) parts website and punch in the part number. They are typically much cheaper than retail, but will likely be more than the Ebay part(unless it’s a new part). Food for thought.

My driver’s mirror suffered the same fate as others(backing into garage). I broke the plastic ring as well as the turn signal and plastic on the bottom around the puddle light. At least the painted cap is unscathed. Mine is in need of a full replacement, but everything works except for the blinker, which I could care less since I don’t see it. Retail is about $500, but Autonation has it for ~$370. Lucky for me, that’s where I bought the vehicle, so I can get the online price and pick it up in person(no shipping necessary). Just haven't bit the bullet.

I'd suggest going with ercole's suggestion, Levittown Ford Super Center as they are a sponsor of this site.

Peter

dj,

I purchased my mirror through Benny at Levittown Ford, who participates in the forum and will no doubt reach out to you. Benny offered free shipping and the piece was about $350 and I knew I was getting the correct part. But the real upside was that Benny provided the instructions for removing and replacing the damaged part. It was good client servicing all around.

This is why I bought by wife an Escape. It's much narrower getting in the garage.

Ercole

That's good service. I wish I would have known. Would you mind sharing those instructions? I could really use them!

I would think that the link to the video in post #6 would be all you need. Have you checked it out?

Peter

Wow. I can't believe I didn't notice that link. That's perfect. Thanks!!!

You're welcome. That's what fellow members are for. Like the video mentioned, just make sure that you don't drop the one nut into the door. Good luck. :):thumbsup:

Peter

The eBay store called me to tell me that, after receiving the VIN#, they determined I purchased the wrong mirror. At least they caught that before shipping it and are issuing a full refund.

Anyway, I called Benny (as recommended here) and he took care of me. $358 including shipping.

Oop's I need a mirror

Well I cracked my passenger side mirror on my 6mon old Black Sport. Backing into garage. Anybody have any tips for a new one. I think I can replace myself I'm just looking for best pricing? Thanks for any help I can get.

Threads merged.

Peter

Call Benny, like I said in my previous post. You will not find a better price. Mention this site and thread and he'll give you free shipping. The installation process is very easy. It literally took me 15 minutes. Check out the video in post #6 .

Thank you all for the great advice but I can not find a contact number for this Benny?

Just ask for him: 877-460-9497

My explor r is base model, can I replace the basic model mirror with oem heated mirror ?

Is it fully compatible ?

I think that you can probably interchange them but whether you can make it work is another issue. The heated mirrors work in conjunction with the rear defrost.

Peter

Any idea if it is the same plug ?

The heated mirror seems all come with signal and blind spot sensor which do not exist on the basic model

I really want to have heated mirror for Canadian winter and since wife broke the mirror , thinking if I can get heated mirror it might not be a bad thing

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On Fordparts.com the mirrors all look the same although part numbers are different. Unless someone here has first hand knowledge regarding the plug, it may be an idea to contact your dealerships parts department. They may have more detailed info. Good luck.

Peter

Back