• Register Today It's free!

97 Explorer 5.0 Radiator

jkamin

Reaction score
City, State
stratford,nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt 5.0
How do you get the radiator out of a 97 explore 5.0 V8, Hayne manual sez to remove shroud, mount bolts, did that. release clips at bottom annd lift out.
how do leave the AC condensor in

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome

It is a little bit of a PITA, you have remove the fan (yup, that's right) in order to make room to move it about an inch and a 1/4 towards the motor to clear the clips of the condensor, then to the left I believe and up and out. Not sure what bonehead designed it.

It is a little bit of a PITA, you have remove the fan (yup, that's right) in order to make room to move it about an inch and a 1/4 towards the motor to clear the clips of the condensor, then to the left I believe and up and out. Not sure what bonehead designed it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you need a special tool to remove the fan.

You do Dan. It's one big bolt on deal. But you can usually rent them from Autozone, etc.

I have never tried to leave the condenser in the car. I've gone ahead and pulled them together. Everyone I've seen pull one does it this way. It may be possible, but it sure would be a pain in the butt that way even if it could be done. But I have the a/c equipment needed too. So I don't worry about it. Evacuate, unbolt the a/c lines, and pull it all as one unit.

You do need a special tool for removing the fan, but removing the radiator from the condensor is just a pain, not at all impossible. A little patience, a few good adjectives and it comes out.

Great, looks like I'll have fun with the radiator. I too wonder who designed some of this stuff with the 5.0 in this engine bay. If I ever find the one responsible for the location of the pcv, I will pimp slap them silly.

5.0 exploer radiator

It can be done !!! Remove raduator hoses, shroud and trans line fittings. Remove the clips holding Radiator and condensor together. On the lower right side of the rad. find a clip, squeeze together and pull that side of radiator back. Keeping the clip out Slide Rad. to the right and up and out. If you think this is crazy check out the short hose between the water pump and the oil filter adapter. Have to remove the water pump or the adapter to change it. Try to stay calm!!!!!!!

Damn I cannot get the radiator to budge from that clip, have it pressed and pulling and it won't move :mad: (the clip holding the radiator on passenger side at bottom).

just bre glad they finally built an Explorer with the pushrod 5.0L, I can deal with the funky manifolds, the water/oil cooler and combioned AC/radiator its better then having 5 timing chains! LOL

Ok I still can't get the radiator out, all bolts, lines etc are off/disonnected. I keep seeing people say "clips" and in the manual it says remove all "clips"....am I blind as I can only see one "clip" which is the one on the bottom passenger side?

LOL to the 5 timing chains comment. I would like to add that five timing chains isn't so bad, it's the 15 nylon tensioners that are the culprit. What were they thinking????????

Sole reason why I snapped up a 5.0L version.

Back