Airbag error code 34 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Airbag error code 34

Plowy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xl
Hi All
My '99 explorer has just been at the workshop because it was winding over but would'nt start. After 6 hours labour cost to find the problem , it turned out to be a $10.50 Aus. relay. Car is starting great now but while it was there the airbag light came on , they were getting an error code 34 and got the Auto Electrician to look at it . He said it would need to go to a Ford dealership to figure out exactly why this was happening. When I start the car the light flashes 3 times , pauses , then flashes 6 times, pauses, and repeats this several times till it stops and just stays illuminated. Does anyone have an idea why this is happening?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it code 34 or code 36? Which is it flashing?

Is it code 34 or code 36? Which is it flashing?

The mechanic who scanned it said it was code 34, but that's as far as he could go and Ford would need to investigate it further. The light on the dash is flashing in the sequence as I've said , not knowing much about it ,I can only repeat what they've told me and what the light is doing.

Thanks for your interest.

Cheers

Nevermind, I got it wrong. I wondered why they'd have codes for the same thing.

Code 34 is Driver Air Bag Circuit Resistance too low. This means that the wires going to the driver's airbag are somehow shorted together. The most common place for this is the clockspring.

Code 36 is Driver Side (the one in the seat) Air Bag Circuit Resistance too low or too high. Same thing, except this doesn't go thru the clockspring.

Either way, you should be extremely careful with airbags--disconnect the battery and wait a few minutes before disconnecting airbag wiring.

Thanks Mate

Will check it out on the weekend with a mate who's a bit more savvy. The mechanics may have disrupted something there when they were looking for the no starting problem

Back