disable anti-theft tsystem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

disable anti-theft tsystem

Sarajevo

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer E.B.
My 2001 explorer eddie bauer is having some issues. Sometimes the key will not turn in the ignition. It just gets stuck. Other times the key will turn and so will the starter. But at the same time there is no ignition. This is clearly the antitheft system malfunctioning. How do i disable the system permanently so that i can install a non-coded ignition key cylinder (switch)? Thanks

If the key won't sometimes turn then its not really the anti-theft. The PATS will just prevent the engine from getting fuel/spark if a coded key isn't recognized in the ignition. Could the actual ignition switch itself. You could try some graphite in the ignition and see if that helps. You could also try spraying the ignition with wd-40 or similar with the red straw until stuff starts flowing out of the ignition. Once thats dry, put some graphite or tri-flow in there. The idea of using graphite or tri-flow is to use something dry that won't gunk up in the column.

The anti theft system has nothing to do with your key not turning.
What is the theft light doing when a crank with no start condition exists?

If the key won't sometimes turn then its not really the anti-theft. The PATS will just prevent the engine from getting fuel/spark if a coded key isn't recognized in the ignition. Could the actual ignition switch itself. You could try some graphite in the ignition and see if that helps. You could also try spraying the ignition with wd-40 or similar with the red straw until stuff starts flowing out of the ignition. Once thats dry, put some graphite or tri-flow in there. The idea of using graphite or tri-flow is to use something dry that won't gunk up in the column.
Isn't graphite an electrical conductor? I'm not sure I would want to spray it in the ignition switch.

Back