2002 Ford Explorer ABS light on please help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Ford Explorer ABS light on please help!

fordlover453

Reaction score
hey guys I need some help. I was driving my car yesterday and all of the sudden the ABS light came on. I have a scan tool but it does not have an abs reader built in. I read around and someone said it could be a module or a sensor? what are common abs parts that are replaced on an 02 ford explorer limited edition? also, do the wheel abs sensors just give out randomly? im not familar with ford. I've only ever dealt with euro cars

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most of the time its the rear speed sensor, it the 4x4 light on also?

Mine has been coming on periodically for about 20k miles. Truck doesn't act any different at all so I have never gotten it checked out. Mine comes on when I step on the gas too hard. As long as I keep it under 3500 Rpms it won't come on.

My 4x4 light is not on and when I turn off the car and then turn it back on the abs light
Goes off. But when I put the car in drive and start moving for about 3-5 seconds, the light comes back on

Just if anyone was curious, it was my front wheel bearing that was completely trashed and needed to be replaced.

Looking for some answers on my ABS light. Came on the other day and noticed a hard hesitation from the rear. Light has gone off but the hesitation is still there. Went to Advanced Auto but the light was not on so no luck w/ a code being read. Could this be a simple sensor replacement?

Sorry if this doesn't help much but my 2002 has gone through periods where the ABS warning light goes on and then always goes off before I get it tot a dealer/repair place. No codes are shown and the car handles the same.
Has not reoccurred in over a year. Dealer says it must be lit to diagnosis but it always goes way by time I make it there.-??

I took my 2002 ford explorer xlt to check the abs light on. The mechanic told me it is the front left that needs changing BUT I have to the whole hub assembley. Is that correct or can I buy only the sensor? Please help

I have never replaced one separately but they do appear to be available if you do a search. I just checked an old hub that I replaced last year and was successful in removing the sensor by removing an allen screw.

Thanks, I will try and look at mine and see because that would save me some $$$.....I will let you know as soon as I can do it...

Thanks, I will try and look at mine and see because that would save me some $$$.....I will let you know as soon as I can do it...

Do a write-up on it with pics, if you can!:salute:

I have the same problem. I changed both of my front hub bearings & the light is still on.
Both fronts needed to be replaced anyway but the damn light is still on.
Pep Boys does not have a ABS code reader, I tried there already.

FWIW, guys, if the ABS light turns on, and any additional lights come on at the same time, or not too long after, beware of possible serious trouble. For example, if ABS light is on, and 4X4 HIGH begins flashing, that means PCM has DISABLED the 4X4 system. If in addition the BRAKE light comes on, there is a possibility the ABS Module has a serious fault. Finally, if the little orange Crescent Wrench turns on, you will shortly be placed in "Forced Limited Power" as the DTC will read, otherwise herein called "Limp Mode".

If that happens, deleting the codes will only delay the inevitable. For me, that was "Forced Engine Idle". Push gas pedal, nothing happens, engine idled nice and quiet, though......

Just sayin'.....it was no fun. imp

Oh, with the flashing 4X4 HIGH light, Speed Control will also be disabled, though you won't be told that unless you try to use it.

I have the same problem. I changed both of my front hub bearings & the light is still on.
Both fronts needed to be replaced anyway but the damn light is still on.
Pep Boys does not have a ABS code reader, I tried there already.

Generally you won't need a code reader for an ABS light. The speed sensors attached to the front wheel bearings are only there for the ABS. So if you have an ABS light with no other lights or symptoms its very likely one of the front sensors has failed.

In addition to ABS the rear sensor also powers the speedometer. So an ABS light accompanied by an erratic or non functional speedo points at the rear sensor.

If any lights come on with the ABS, refer to imps post above.

@c_monster70 ...." If any lights come on with the ABS, refer to imps post above."
I truly hope no one will need to, other than for reference. 'Twas a ***** of a time I had.......imp

@c_monster70 ...." If any lights come on with the ABS, refer to imps post above."
I truly hope no one will need to, other than for reference. 'Twas a ***** of a time I had.......imp

Of that I have no doubt.

I replaced my front hubs and one of them had bad sensor part. I took the old Ford original off the original hub that was still in corner ready to get hauled off and installed old sensor on new hub. ABS light went off right away. I suspect if your ABS light is throwing code for a particular wheel you have a bad sensor wire

Back