• Register Today It's free!

Location of ABS sensors

leftlane36

Reaction score
City, State
maynardville tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 explorer XLT 4X4
I was wondering if any one has Pics or diagrams on where the ABS sensors are located on the front end of an '03 4 wheel drive. I have located the rear. Please any help would be greatly appreciated. RONDO HEEEELLLLPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is located in the front hub assembly, #3 on diagram

s4nusenfilea0084091gifg.gif

Thanks '04 I have been racking what little brain this ex has left me with looking for it.

Thanks '04 I have been racking what little brain this ex has left me with looking for it.

Just be careful if you have to remove them. Since they are considered part of the hub assembly they have locktite on them and may break.

ANy secrets on getting them out easier or is it just take time a do it slowly

I've heard several people say they had planned to re-use them when they bought new wheel bearing hub assemblies that did not include the sensor. Apparently, they are either hard to get loose or they are brittle because of the comments about them breaking when trying to remove them. However, it you are replacing the ABS sensor then maybe you don't care if you break the old ones. On that note, if you have a bad ABS sensor be prepared to pay within $40 or $50 bucks of what a complete wheel bearing hub assembly would cost including with a new ABS sensor. I was recently quoted around $128 for an ABS sensor by itself versus $170 for a brand new wheel bearing hub assembly that included a new sensor. Lastly, if you are trying to replace a "bad" ABS sensor because you think it will make the ABS idiot light turn off keep in mind that the sensor could actually be good but the wheel bearings are so worn out that the ABS sensor can not register properly.

I have just installed new bearing on the front and about 3 weeks later is when the light came on. Some one told me that maybe something got on one of them and that may be what is causing the light to come on. That is the reason I am wanting to check them. I figure if it is not to big of a deal I would try to check them and see if that is in fact the problem. If not I will see what else comes up. This thing will be the death of me. Dodge would have been but I got rid of them, best thing I ever did.

I assume it is throwing an ABS sensor code for the front left or right sensor?

Havent had the code read just funny that it started right after bearing change

Could be the rear ABS so a stop at AdvancedAuto or AutoZone to get the ABS codes will help you get closer to the problem. Let us know what codes you have when you get a chance.

OK I am gonna try to get to it tomorrow, garage is occupied with the 87 ranger right now. A man and his toys never get rest

Back