'97 Always hot air, NOT the blend door????? Please help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'97 Always hot air, NOT the blend door????? Please help

chillsworld

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mercury Mountaineer
I bought a replacement Blend door motor (PN# 1AHCX00034 from 1aAuto), and when I hooked up the motor and turned the dash knob... Nothing, the motor didn't turn the shaft at all. So the problem is before the signal even gets to the motor? I have searched, read countless blend door and HVAC threads, but without knowing what is wrong I don't know what to search for :thumbdwn: Can anyone help me diagnose and fix this? Winter is right around the corner, and believe it or not, that's when I use the vent the most ;) I hate sweating with full heat on, when all I want to do is keep the windows from fogging so I don't run off the road and die.

I have been to several mechanics over the last year or so, and none of them have been any help with this issue.

Thanks in advance!

~C

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Always hot air or always hot air through the vents (blowing in your face)?

Always hot air through any vent at any time no matter what position the "temp" dial is set to. The blend door is stuck on hot, because the blend door actuator isn't getting a signal to move the blend door when I adjust the temp dial. Does that make sense? I'm assuming it's the dial, or the wiring, or some part I don't know exists :eek:

~C

With the blend door motor removed, can you manually turn the blend door and eliminate heat from the discharge air?

With the blend door motor removed, can you manually turn the blend door and eliminate heat from the discharge air?

I can't get my hand/fingers back in there in a manner which lets me manipulate the blend door. I can tell that the door isn't broken though, I can feel the top of the door where the D-Shaft goes into. I guess I could remove the shaft from the old motor and move it by hand... But I would really like the ability to turn a dial and make it work instead of removing the glovebox and turning it by hand every time I need heat, heat is still nice on a snowy day!

I guess I was hoping someone would say, "oh, the ________ is probably broken.. Remove the dash bezel and...." :D But I'm guessing that's not going to happen huh? :(

~C

My thought was not to control heat manually but to ensure the blend flap does move easily.

Another test on the same path...remove the blend flap motor off the shaft and watch the motor when you turn the temp knob.

My thought was not to control heat manually but to ensure the blend flap does move easily.

Another test on the same path...remove the blend flap motor off the shaft and watch the motor when you turn the temp knob.

That's what I have already done, I ordered a blend door motor and hooked it up... before installing it, I turned the knob to see if it worked, it did not. Thats why I started this thread, to see if anyone knew what it could be... The knob? The wires? etc etc. I don't want to pull my dash apart without any idea of what I'm looking for :(

~C

I had the exact same problem it ended up being a bad EATC unit. See if you can go and get a control unit from a junkyard or something and try it out.

I had the exact same problem it ended up being a bad EATC unit. See if you can go and get a control unit from a junkyard or something and try it out.

Sweet, thanks for the input! Only problem is that I don't have the auto climate unit... I have the old school manual dials :( Guess I can try to replace that unit and see what happens. Or look into upgrading to the climate control unit? :scratch:

~C

Back