5R55E transmission is taking off in 3rd gear. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55E transmission is taking off in 3rd gear.

roberson30

Reaction score
City, State
Brandon, MS
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer 4x4
Having trouble with my 1998 explorer 4x4 It seems that the trans is taking off in 3rd gear and shifting up but when I stop it is not shifting back down to 1st or 2nd. The transfer case is working properly but the main trans is where I believe the problem is. I did change the range selector motor on the transfer case, could there be a wire that I misplaced. The plug was a real pain to change. Where could I find a wiring diagram to check my work. Thanks Gene Roberson

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Trans problem stuck in 3rd

Thanks for your reply, Yes the overdrive light is blinking and when I scanned the codes it showed multiple codes as if I had a catastropic failure, Everthing from Torque converter to 1-2 shift 2-3 shift 3-4 shift and all kinds of crazy stuff. I feel like I have abigger problem that just changing filter and fluid will fix. Have 164,000 miles on explorer.

Trans shift

Thanks, I will disconnect and clean the contacts in the harness, Never thought of that, The car is on an island in Exuma, Bahamas and there is not a lot of technical help here, so you have to figure things out. Thanks again Gene

Back