squeaky suspension | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

squeaky suspension

Greatlaker

Reaction score
My 05 4x4 Ex has 125,000 miles on it and has a squeaky front end....pretty much just on the trails, its not that bad but it is annoying. Seems like a combination of the control arm bushings, etc. Besides replacing everything, are there any options to quiet it down? I'm sure others have had this happen... Thanks! Rob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 05 4x4 Ex has 125,000 miles on it and has a squeaky front end....pretty much just on the trails, its not that bad but it is annoying. Seems like a combination of the control arm bushings, etc. Besides replacing everything, are there any options to quiet it down? I'm sure others have had this happen... Thanks! Rob

Probably the swaybar bushings that are mounted in those U-shaped brackets on the underside of the frame. You can take them off, clean the gunk out, and put a thick layer of marine grease on the inside surfaces and that will keep them quiet for a good while.

It may be squeaky because the factory rubber bushings are dried out and worn. Fresh bushings will take care of the front end noise, just be careful what kit you get because some of the heavy duty off road kits can cause a lot of front end noise too. You could also try squirting some motor oil on the bushings to see if it helps knock some of the noise down.

From the Offroad Design web site refering to rear shackles but still applicable:
"A often misunderstood fact is that factory rubber bushings offer less flexibility than aftermarket urethane. Most people have heard or read otherwise but rubber does not work as well in the real world. The reason is that the factory rubber bonds the inner sleeve to the outer sleeve and spring. Since they're bonded together, the inner sleeve can't twist relative to the spring. When you tighten your shackle and spring bolts the inner sleeve is locked solid to the vehicle so the suspension is limited by the rubbers inability to rotate. Urethane bushings on the other hand, can rotate freely around the inner sleeve and will not bind up the suspension."

Edit: Sorry for duplicity, Ronin posted as I was formulating my response.

Thanks guys! Yep, it was the sway bar bushings...I spray lubed the heck out of them for now and they are quiet again. Probably will replace them at some point, but seems ok for now. I appreciate the replies. ----Rob

Back