• Register Today It's free!

ranger rear end swap

xtream

Reaction score
City, State
bonney lake, wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 ford ranger XLT
Will a 1999 4wd rear end with a tag no. S333S 4L 10 88 8J10, interchange in a 98 ranger XLT 2wd, 4.0L automatic with a rear end no. S338M 3 55 88 8C25. & If so how would It affect the speadometer & fuel economy. Thanks. RYAN.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

physically it iwill, but it looks like you are going from a 3.55 open rear end to a 4.10 limited slip

is it off of a ranger? I will assume that is what your talking about.

4.10 gears are nice, I really like mine :thumbsup:

I would say just compare the perches for the springs everything else should be the same since the rangers axles have not changed since the dawn of time :) or at least it seems that way

Well, considering it will be going into a 2wd there won't be too much of a problem. However, your factory rear has 3.55 gears and the donor rear has 4.10s. You will see a marked increase in low end speed and torque, but your top end will and highway mileage will suffer do to the lower gearing. If you mostly do lower speed city driving or heavy towing you might see an improvement on mileage. If you want to swap these rear ends and still have correct speedometer readings you could always swap to oversized tires to regain factory like gearing, or program your ECM/PCM for the gearing change.

If you want to swap these rear ends and still have correct speedometer readings you could always swap to oversized tires to regain factory like gearing, or program your ECM/PCM for the gearing change.
Sorry but this is not correct.

98~2000 Rangers take the VSS from the rear axle ABS speed sensor. Since the sensor reads ring gear RPM, there is no adjustment necessary for axle ratio changes. The speedo will read exactly the same with either axle.

On the other hand, a tire diameter change does require an adjustment in the GEM or 4WABS Module to correct the speedometer for 98~00 Rangers. You cannot make any speedometer corrections in the PCM on Rangers before 2001.

See I do learn something new everyday. :)

thank you for the great advice and i did learn something new too.

Back