MountaineerGreen's Sliders | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MountaineerGreen's Sliders

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The sliders look great!
I wanted to ask you how they work as a step?
Is it wide enough that my girlfriend's 81 year old mother would feel confident climbing in?

Well, I just got them done, but IMO, they work better than the factory step. They have more surface are on top to step on, but it its a tad higher than the factory steps. Ive got a 4" superlift and my grandma got in and out once not too long ago, she is in her early 80's.

The beauty of making your own is you can design it how you want. These came out just right for me and my needs, but they took alot of work to get it there.

I'm very happy to update this thread. After some intense work at jtsmith's house, these beauties emerged from Jon's gianormous oven all shiny and black. A base coat of high gloss black, and then a wrinkle type finish over that on the outer bars. The outriggers were left gloss for easy cleaning. I'm very pleased with the results.

Before I took these to Kansas, I welded nuts on the backs of all the plates, it greatly eased the re installation.

IMG_0915_Medium_.JPG

IMG_0917_Medium_.JPG

IMG_0922_Medium_.JPG

IMG_0926_Medium_.JPG

I'll probably add some skate board tape for step pads along the top to prevent slips.

:bounce:

Man those do look good.

I'll ever forget that day. Thanks Evan!!

It's a day/trip I'll never forget either. I really appreciate you doing these for me, I know they will look good for a long time.

Those look great! I'm jealous!

That reminds me I need to get mine going I have had the steel for over a year.

Tim

Very Snazzy I guess you did most of the work for me.:D

clip holes

herc_009_Medium_.jpg

How did you fill the clip holes? I took the lousy boards off my wife's Exploder last night, and realized I was wrong about the clips.....

How did you fill the clip holes? I took the lousy boards off my wife's Exploder last night, and realized I was wrong about the clips.....

Read the thread.

Check out page 4 for the answer.

I missed the middle section. Thank you for the help.

I'm reading this thread, and it brings back memories. The first big thing run through my oven, building a rolling rack, installing a lift kit on my son's truck, Mountaineergreen's new grill ( from a tooth getting chipped)

Now we go full circle and insatll these sliders on the Puff Wagon. I hope they fit as well---
Corkey actually "owns " them. I am gong to use them for a minute--dangit I should pay him for them some day. I have been storing them in the garage--why not store them on a truck? :D

I wiped them down with laquer thinner, heated one up to 350 and shot mirror black over it to freshen---results are great!!. Shooting the powder on top of a hot coat will make them "cross link" so it will stick good.

When the second is finished I will get pictures. Thankfully I have a Matt here to help lift em.

DAMN those look nice! Very good inspiration :D

Nice work, fellas!! Glad this got bumped - adding to my collection of saved links from the site!

I wiped them down with laquer thinner, heated one up to 350 and shot mirror black over it to freshen---results are great!!. Shooting the powder on top of a hot coat will make them "cross link" so it will stick good.

When the second is finished I will get pictures. Thankfully I have a Matt here to help lift em.

005-4.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back