How to install an aftermarket deck into a 1995-1997 Ex with external amp | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to install an aftermarket deck into a 1995-1997 Ex with external amp

Joe Dirt

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Camry
Ok, a lot has been discussed regarding the installation of an aftermarket deck into a 1995-1997 Ford Explorer before they went to dual media decks. If you're installing one, maybe this'll help you out.

If you have a deck like this:

Or this:

With these type of plugs on the back:

This is your thread...

HARNESS

You need the 70-5600 harness kit from METRA. Tip- if you go to Best Buy, they do not hang it on the customer displays. More likely than not (and every time I've needed one) I have to get one of the installers to get me one from the audio install garage wall.

The Scosche FD012 kit pictured below WILL NOT WORK. Even thought it says "Premium Sound" which is what you have (with or without CD changer, but no subwoofer) the speaker connection harness is wrong.

This is your speaker harness:

I was installing a Pioneer DEH-1100MP into my truck. I have switched the dash lights to the '98+ green, and the Pioneer green lighted decks match colors perfectly, which is why I like them, but the decks are great as well!

Here is the link to the DEH-1100MP if you're interested, I paid $85 for it at Best Buy on sale.

I didn't take a pic of the wires, since that's straightforward- hook the wires on the harness for the deck to the corresponding wires on the METRA harness.

IMPORTANT- if you have read this far and can't figure out why your truck as power to your aftermarket deck but no sound read on- but if you're installing at this point- In order to get the remote amp to turn on, and thus power your speakers, you need to hook the "Remote Amp Turn-On" wire on the METRA kit to the power antenna wire on your aftermarket HU harness (or remote amp turn on if they have such a wire, some do...)

Remote/PA Blue wires:

Why? The double-DIN '95-'97 deck does not have an amp on the radio, which can be eyed in this pic- the double-DIN Ford radio is only single DIN thick at the back, because there is no amp onboard, it is remotely located at the passenger rear of the truck.

DASH KITS

If you are looking for a dash kit to use, I have tried a couple.

First kit was the Scosche kit from WalMart.

The other was the METRA 99-5802 (Labeled DYNEX) which I got at Best Buy.

The Wal-Mart Scosche kit covered a LOT of vehicles. It was full of parts, and honestly, I didn't like the way it looked. The METRA / DYNEX kit from Best Buy was a better looking unit when installed, and only covered the double-DIN Ford vehicles, so it was super easy to install.

Here they are side by side:

The METRA/DYNEX on the right, Scosche on the left.

Here was my main problem:

The Pioneer deck comes with a small remote. The storage cubby holds the remote perfectly in the METRA/DYNEX kit, but the opening wasn't deep enough in the Scosche kit, as you can see here as they are pictured from the side:

So, I used the METRA/DYNEX kit. Just my .02 if it is helpful to decide... I do not know what kit Crutchfield sends out with their units, maybe someone can chime in.

When installed, this is how your deck will look from the rear, and how it is affixed to the dash kit for support.

So when you're done, you'll have this:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the write-up!!! Made my install on my '97 a walk in the park this time....

The first deck I put in, I wound up having best buy do the installation because I couldn't get sound. Now, after reading this, I understand why the guy had such a big smile on his face I was driving away.....$50 to hook up the amp wire!! lol

thanks again!

Nooooo prob! :)

Dirtster,

This is what I started searching for and here it is. I would really like to get a double din to fill the entire void, any radios out there for that? I just started searching, Crutchfield etc. Will peruse the forum for awhile as well. 6 disc changer is not working, have a spare to try. Til then I have been kickin it with cassettes 80's style! Glad I kept a few. But how many times can I listen to Toys in the Attic.....

Reread, I see the cubby-kinda neat. It probably wont work for my Ex though, when I press the gass pedal on this 160hp OHV V6 it tends to send necks snapping, and things flying.... I can just see the remote flying out of the cubby at 1G and shattering my tail gate glass.

I can just see the remote flying out of the cubby at 1G and shattering my tail gate glass.

I have the same dash kit and I've never been able to keep ANYTHING in the little pocket.. A simple turn at normal speeds is enough to send whatever's in there out.. I've thought that even just a little lip in the front would be great to keep stuff in place, but it's not a big deal or anything, I just don't use it.. A rubber surface would be great too to add a little friction, cuz even if there was a lip, you'd still have stuff sliding back and forth on the polished surface.

I've never had anything come out of the cubby. :D

I put my remote in rubber buttons down, and the friction is enough to keep it settled in there. I don't put anything more in since you can't really get to it anyway if it goes to the back. My OHV didn't launch anything, nor does my 5.0 now, but I don't road race it, I suppose lateral forces would matter, but it's an Explorer, I keep it upright... Ha ha! :)

I put my remote in rubber buttons down, and the friction is enough to keep it settled in there.

There ya go then.. My mp3 player is really polished on both sides and has a little weight to it, so there's no hope of it staying in place in the pocket.. A nice soft rubber liner in there would be great though.

Alright, let me explain, the launch thing from OHV V6 was kind of well, embellished.... I did screech the tires from a stop one time, there was fresh oil on the pavement....

Joe D,

Much Appreciated on the write up. I am on the fence of trying to get OEM to 6 CD changer working again or getting a new radio. I read on an older post where you mentioned "NO DJ" meant the changer is DOA. My changer loads a DISC, shows Disc No. then Track No. then "NO CD". This started about a year ago intermittently. Started driving the Ex after about 4 months and now it is continuous. Tried diff discs, a diff cartridge, and just installed another entire changer (working condition unknown-it was a gift from Todd). New used changed does same thing, loads disc, then "NO CD". Sorry for going somewhat off topic here, but if this isnt an EZ FIX I will most likely be getting a new Aftermarket Stereo. 15 years out of the original unit isnt bad, on/off button doesnt work, but it has served its purpose. Any info appreciated and I will be happy to go to McD's and get a Shamrock shake to serve the cause!

Sorry about that- I just saw this post while searching for another thread... :(

The No DJ is definitely a dying/dead cd changer. It's obviously getting power since it loads discs, but it won't play. I'd say that you've got a given-up-the-ghost changer...

No Problemo, thanks for responding. It is actually "NO CD" error. Either way I am done with stock radio. It no longer powers off, been that way for years. Growing tiresome listening to cassettes lately. I am considering a Double Din Pioneer AVIC-U310BT. Sells on Crutchfield for $399, on amazon for $260. Some good reviews, some bad. For the price seems okay. There is a pic on Pioneer's website showing it installed in a 2001 Ranger (same console as 2nd gen Explorers). As always, your info is ingenious Joe D!! Now all I need is to bring you my Ex for the incredible Joe D Detail. Thanks

anytime... anytime... I have plenty of cleaning supplies. :D

Joe, what type of connectors do u recommend to splice the wires together-"crimp connectors" "heat connectors" ?? Thanks--plan on taking a ride to Wally World today.

Joe, what type of connectors do u recommend to splice the wires together-"crimp connectors" "heat connectors" ?? Thanks--plan on taking a ride to Wally World today.

Here's my take on splicing wires... Crimp connectors seem to be the norm, and what they'll use at install shops.. Soldering the wires would be very effective, but IMO it's a tad overkill for a stereo install..

The method I use on the other hand would probably be frowned upon by alot of people, but for me it's quick and effective, never had a problem.. What I do is 1st of all make sure I have a nice chunk of wire exposed on the 2 wires.. Then I thoroughly twist the 2 together, tightly intertwined.. Then I get a small piece of duct tape - I don't wrap it around the wire, but rather just fold it in half over the exposed wire and part of the wire insulation further up.. Then I get a 2nd longer piece of duct tape to now wrap around, going over the end, and the wire insulation again.. I've never once had a problem, and when I've had to undo one of these connections, it's surprising to see how strongly everything was held together..

thanks for the info 617, I picked up some red and some blue crimp connectors today. The duct tape sure sounds quick and easy! Now I need to reread install threads, I believe there are 15 wires on the Metra harness, and only 11 or so on the stereo harness....

Joe,
I purchased what is supposed to be the Metra kit you are showing, however the wire next black (orange/white-dimmer-do I need it) is missing as well as the cable inbetween red and yellow? Do I need them? Did you have extra cables unconnected? Also which blue cable did you use on the harness to the Pioneer? There are not enough cables on the Pioneer harness to attatch to the Metra harness even with 2 cables missing.
Thanks, in advance.

I've never connected the dimmer/illumination wires on installs and it works fine.. The other missing wire could be the dimmer ground or something else not necessary

THANKS ricky! It seems really straightforward but the colors/wires didnt match the first pic Joe had of the Metra kit. I think I have most of it figured out (havent installed many radios and it shows, obviously). Going to use the blue remote amp turn on as suggested to the blue wire on the Pioneer harness. The other blue wire I guess I will leave dangling. And the black ground I need to figure out what exactly to connect, the radio black has a spade connector and says to connect to body I believe. The black cable off the Metra harness should go to the same spot? I need a Car Stereo for Dummies book...

If you're using the stock amp here's the 2 things you gotta do.. The amp turn on wire on the stock harness connects to either the power antenna or remote turn on wire on the stereo harness.. Then there's an amp ground wire which is the 9th wire on the square speaker plug of the stock harness which needs to be grounded.. What I did was just twist it in with the other 2 ground wires from the stock and stereo harnesses, so all 3 together and it worked fine.. There's gonna be multiple unused wires though, and this is fine..

So you're stereo has a spade connector on the ground wire? I've never seen 1 of those on a stereo, but I'm not really all that into car audio.. If it's just a normal sized wire, I don't see why you couldn't just take the spade connector off, expose a chunk of wire, and ground it with the stock ground wire - but I'm not 100% positive

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fantastic info, I do have the 9th wire left over on the Metra speaker harness, and the gound wire on the Metra stereo harness, as well as the black ground on the Stereo's wiring. Will put them all together and ground them to chasis. Thanks Again!

Back