URGENT!!!!! My '01 Sport Trac won't shift out of park. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

URGENT!!!!! My '01 Sport Trac won't shift out of park.

theforins

Reaction score
City, State
Sanford, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport Trac 4X4
At first, the brake lights on the bed weren't working so we tried replacing the brake light switch. NAPA gave us an after market one, which of course we couldn't figure out, and wasn't solving the problem. I did some research online and found that some people have been having trouble with steering column not being in the highest position, so we tried that and put the old switch back in, worked like a charm. Now we can start the truck but can't get it to shift out of park at all. What do we do? My husband has to go to work tomorrow. Please help!!!!!!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

More to add: After more research, we think it may be the brake interlock selenoid. If you turn the key to the on position, you can shift to neutral, then start the truck, and then shift into drive. You can shift into park again, but it will be stuck and you have start all over again. Does this make sense to anyone? It still doesn't explain why the steering column has to be in the highest position in order for the brake lights to work.

NEVER MIND!!!! Yet again, doing more research, I found a similar thread here that the guy was checking fuses and had put the fuse in the wrong place. I went out to check with the hubby and he had solved the problem. He had broken a fuse when messing with the brake light switch under the pedal. Don't as how. So now the brake lights work, the truck shifts. It still doesn't answer the question about why the steering wheel has to be in the highest position for the brake lights to work. Any thoughts????

Glad we could help! :D

Did you check wires for insulation wear? Something could be grounding out in the column, or even a broken wire inside of the insulation. When you raise the wheel, it could bend the wire enough to either ground the wire to something or to connect the broken wire to itself...

The wiring subharness to the Multifunction Switch is routed along the left side of the steering column and the brake lamp power must pass through the MS before being sent on to the 2 outer brake lamps. You probably have one of these issues when the column is in the lower position where the subharness is presumably pulled the tightest:
  • There is a connector that is not fully seated and locked.
  • There is a loose pin in a connector that is being pulled to create an open circuit.
  • There is a broken wire conductor that is being pulled to create an open circuit.
  • The Multifunction Switch itself is being pulled, creating an internal open.
The color code for the brake lamp circuit going into the MS is light green.

Thanks guys, when the hubby gets home from work, i'll let him know. I'll let you know the outcome.

wire harness needs some slack!

Take the top cover off the steering column, you will see a white connector with about 4 wires just pull the harness toward you and the problem will be solved. It happened on my truck and never had any problems after that.

Resurrecting an ancient thread, but what solved this? My truck has an almost identical issue, I replaced the brake switch, but I never thought to check my brake lights. Can anyone explain this all to me?

NEVER MIND!!!! Yet again, doing more research, I found a similar thread here that the guy was checking fuses and had put the fuse in the wrong place. I went out to check with the hubby and he had solved the problem. He had broken a fuse when messing with the brake light switch under the pedal. Don't as how. So now the brake lights work, the truck shifts. It still doesn't answer the question about why the steering wheel has to be in the highest position for the brake lights to work. Any thoughts????

Resurrecting an ancient thread, but what solved this? My truck has an almost identical issue, I replaced the brake switch, but I never thought to check my brake lights. Can anyone explain this all to me?

my limited reading skills sort of told me it might be a fuse

The fuses I actually checked. I don't have a fuse cover, so they were one of the first things I thought to check

It's the harness on the steering column. The wires get backed out of the connector, mine went through the same thing - I had to buy a new connector - slipped the wires back into the new one and it solved the problem. Take the cover off right behind the steering wheel, and it'll be on the top left - grey connector - cost like $5 from ford to replace.

Where exactly is it? Lol I didn't think that was it because I don't have a tilt column

Thanks I appreciate it, its my only transportation and school isn't quite over yet, and work never ends.

Back