Body Preservation and Bed Liner | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Body Preservation and Bed Liner

Hi. I have a 93 Ex. It has spent a good portion of it's life parked somewhere that doesn't use much salt on the roads. The bad side of this is that when I got it a year ago, most of the gaskets were shot. The up side is that the body and paint are in exceptional condition compared to most, especially first gens. The Ex now lives in MN and lots of salt. I noticed the other day that the bottom corner of a back door had the paint chipped off and some surface rust starting. Initially was going to clean it up, get some touch up paint and call it good. Then I started thinking about it and I like to take it out in the woods and some minor trail work, but enough that I don't want to spend forever chasing scratches and chips. I'm thinking about instead going with a DIY bed liner on at least the lower half. The lower half is purple and I wouldn't feel bad at all about covering that up.
I did a search and can find people talking about bed lining the inside, but not much for bed liner on the exterior. I've watched a lot of youtube how to's and it really doesn't look too hard. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm leaning towards U-Pol Raptor Liner or Custom Coat, which appears to be Raptor liner with a different label but comes in colors.
What say you all? Pics or tips would be appreciated. I hate to risk ruining it, but realistically I'm working on a 93 Ex so how much damage can I really do?

Back