'09 Mountaineer rear pinion seal still leaking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'09 Mountaineer rear pinion seal still leaking

red_russian1

Reaction score
City, State
Apple Valley, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Mercury Mountaineer
Good morning! I've got a problem. Last weekend I replaced both axle seals and the pinion seal on the rear diff because they were leaking (135,000 on the vehicle). Yesterday I noticed that there was oil on the ground under the diff again. Axle seals are fine but the pinion seal is leaking again! I replaced it to the T going by the Haynes manual, which they tell you to check the rolling torque before disassembly and to mark the companion flange and pinion with a paint pen. Rolling torque was around 15 in-lbs. Pulled the companion off with a 2-jaw and noticed a very slight groove in the seal surface so I installed a Speedi-Sleeve. Popped the old seal out (didn't look bad) and tried to work the outer bearing out but was unsuccessful (I picked up a new crush sleeve that I didn't install). Cleaned everything up, put a little RTV on the outer edge of the new seal and a light film of dielectric grease on the lip and companion seal surfaces. I also used a little Black Moly (anti-seize) on the splines because the companion came off very hard. Installed the companion but had to draw it on with the nut because it just barely started onto the splines. Tightened the nut down to the paint marks but took a lot of muscle to get them to line up (I had a 3/4" breaker bar on the nut and stood on it through the wheel well). After the marks were lined up, I had about 30 in-lbs. rolling torque but figured it was just the new seal dragging. Anyway, put it all back together and now it's leaking worse than before. I'm guessing the new seal is ruined but what happened? I'm thinking I need to pull it apart again, try to replace that crush sleeve and install a new seal. Is there a torque spec. for tightening down the nut to and should I have used a new nut? I think I read somewhere to install a new nut and also to use RTV on the splines. I was also contemplating pulling the axles again so I can pull the whole center section out to work on instead of messing around with it underneath. Anybody have any input?

If the companion flange did not start into the throat of the seal correctly you may have damaged it during re-installation.

Since your rolling torque went up the spedi sleeve may be too big as well causing it to "Burn" the new seal.

I always use a new nut when doing a rear main seal.

As for the crush sleeve about 1 re use is all you get.

I know trying to set this stuff up while the rear end is installed is a pain unless you have a rack. It may be best to drop the whole rear end so you have better control and can see what is going on.

Back