DeRocha

NEX Vice President
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Brockton, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT 4x4
The short story is that I need to remove my aussie locker to replace the drive's side axle backing plate. As it stands now I have removed the center pin, the 4 springs and alignment pins, but I cannot get the passenger side "C" clip to come out and want to know what the trick is? I have rotated the passenger axle so the "C" is facing up and the "C" clip cups are both all the way to the driver's side. I had a helper push the passenger axle in and out while I played with the side cam gear trying to get the "C" clip to drop but wouldn't. Any ideas for those that have worked on an aussie?

BTW I have seen the very good Aussie install write up

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...You probably have tried this but, have you tried pulling the slack on the drivers side shaft first, and then pushing in on the pass side...:dunno:....I know the last clips are a pain to put in in the first place...:hammer:

I don't know how to get it out, but don't put it back in when you get ready to put it back together. Do the c-clip eliminator with the spring.

I used a couple butter knives, and I believe I pushed the c-clip into the front of the diff (if memory is right).

I don't know how to get it out, but don't put it back in when you get ready to put it back together. Do the c-clip eliminator with the spring.
You're thinking of the D35, he's talking about the 8.8.

Try shaking the axles in and out with the clips so they will fall down. That's how my lock right came apart. It just fell out at the right point. I cringe the day I have to take my 8.8 apart again, because I had to hammer in the c clip:(

All good advise thanks for the suggestions..:thumbsup: I'm working outside and it starting raining last night so I will give them a try when the rain stops (in a few days). I'm currently thinking the butter knife and maybe a dental pick may do the trick..

In the mean time this is what I've done:
I rotated the Carrier so the open part was facing down (so the "C" clip would fall out). I pulled the driver's side shaft all the way out so its on its "C" clip. I then used a few screwdrivers to force/keep both cams on the driver's side. When you do this the teeth on the cam and side gears mesh perfectly which gives you the biggest gap for the slot on the passenger cam. . I could push the passenger axle in and see the "C" clip centered in the slot, but it was still attached to the axle shaft and would only come 1/2 way.. I was thinking that some really thin tweezers would have been able to reach in and yank them out, but I can't find mine. I tried with a pair of micro needle nose pliers, but they are too thick. I could easily touch the clip with a screwdriver and even put a large magnet on it to see if it had enough force to pull out the clip (but it didn't)...

Yeah the magnet thing didn't work for me either. I think I remember having to push it out the backside so it fell out.

Update?

Did you ever get that Aussie removed? I'm running into the same problem while trying to install new gears

Back