• Register Today It's free!

TPMS reset

ahent

Reaction score
City, State
Johnston, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 XLT
I have a 2007 Explorer XLT. I need to know if the reset for the system works the same way as on the earlier models. They all say that they have metal stems in posts on this forum, but mine (and all 2007's I have seen) has rubber stems. Is the TPMS still in the stem and can I use the magnet to reset it. My TPMS gave a warning the other day and I checked pressure and it was normal in all the tires, drove 2 minutes and greater then 20 MPH and it was still indicating. PITA...Help me out guys (and gals). I hate to take it to the dealer if I can fix it in my driveway in 5 min. If this info helps, it happened in the middle of the first snow storm I have driven through with this Explorer, it was cold out, and thanks to the NHTSA I was freezing my a$$ off trying to clear a fault. Thanks in advance.

==================================================

Solved by Spikedog:

I figured this all out when I bought a set of snow tires for my '06 XLT. After the tire techs kept breaking the sensors, I got another set of rims and sensors. Now I can put my snow tires on myself, and I should break even dollar-wise in about 4 years.

Sensor Training (Reset Procedure)

NOTE: The tire pressure monitoring system is not affected by wheel and tire rotation.

NOTE: The tire pressure sensor training procedure must be done on a single vehicle, in an area without radio frequency (RF) noise.

RF noise is generated by electrical motor and appliance operation, cellular telephones and remote transmitters, power inverters and portable entertainment equipment.

1.Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
2.Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position three times, ending in the RUN position. Do not wait more than one minute between each key cycle.
3.Press and release the brake pedal.
4.Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
5.Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position three times, ending in the RUN position. Do not wait more than one minute between each key cycle.
6.The horn will sound once and the TPMS indicator will flash if train mode has been entered successfully. If equipped, the message center displays "TRAIN LF TIRE", hold the TPMS reset tool next to the tire and press the green button down. The horn will sound briefly to indicate that the tire pressure sensor has been recognized by the TPMS module.
7.Within two minutes after the horn sounds, do the same thing next to the RF tire pressure sensor. The horn will beep once to indicate successful sensor training.
NOTE: If the VSM (TPMS module integral to VSM) does not recognize any one of the four tire pressure sensors during the tire training procedure, the horn will sound twice and the message center (if equipped) will display "TIRE NOT TRAINED REPEAT" and the procedure must be repeated.
8.Repeat Step 7 for the RR and LR tires.
When the tire training procedure is complete, the horn will sound once and the message center (if equipped) will display "TIRE TRAINING MODE COMPLETE".

So basically you are fiddling with the ignition key to get it into TPMS training mode, then walking around your car starting at the driver's front tire, across the front to the passenger front tire, then passenger back, then driver's rear tire.

The tool to use is only about $20 from your FORD dealer. It's part number is
#8C2T-1A203-AB. It looks like a garage door opener with a little green button in the middle. There is no need to buy a costly rotunda tool or other universal sensor reset unit. Ford has to provide these reset tools in their new trucks since they wrote in the owner's manual that the trucks come with them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The TPMS is not in the stems...it is a small module that clips to a band that goes around the diameter of the wheel. Don't know of a way to "reset" them. You may have a faulty module or the battery in one of them died.

So what you are saying is that the reset procedure for the tpms listed at http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137498&highlight=tpms+reset
does not work for the 2006 and newer explorers. Is there a way to reset the newer TPMS system if it is out of whack, at least something I can try before I have to go to the dealer?

Does the spare have a sensor in it? I didn't check the spare for pressure.

found some stuff, it appears that 2006+ Ford Explorers use a newer generation TPMS sensor in the tires. It is attached to the wheel with a band and the only way to communicate with the sensor to do a reset or check for a faulty sensor is with a $300-$400 tool that sends and recieves signals from this sensor and can tell the sensor to reset. The sensor is located 180 degrees from the valve stem on the wheel. Sounds like I need a dealer unless one of the local parts stores carries the monitor. Here is the link to the sight with instructions for the reset http://library.motoralldata.com/techRef/WebHelp/Ford.htm
the 2006-2007 explorer data is at the bottom.
Hope that helps some people, it just pissed me off. Heaven forbid anybody be able to fix their own car...oh lords we can't have that.

late reply, but here's how to reset TPMS yourself

I figured this all out when I bought a set of snow tires for my '06 XLT. After the tire techs kept breaking the sensors, I got another set of rims and sensors. Now I can put my snow tires on myself, and I should break even dollar-wise in about 4 years.

NOTE: The tire pressure monitoring system is not affected by wheel and tire rotation.

NOTE: The tire pressure sensor training procedure must be done on a single vehicle, in an area without radio frequency (RF) noise.

RF noise is generated by electrical motor and appliance operation, cellular telephones and remote transmitters, power inverters and portable entertainment equipment.

2.Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position three times, ending in the RUN position. Do not wait more than one minute between each key cycle.
5.Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position three times, ending in the RUN position. Do not wait more than one minute between each key cycle.
6.The horn will sound once and the TPMS indicator will flash if train mode has been entered successfully. If equipped, the message center displays "TRAIN LF TIRE", hold the TPMS reset tool next to the tire and press the green button down. The horn will sound briefly to indicate that the tire pressure sensor has been recognized by the TPMS module.
7.Within two minutes after the horn sounds, do the same thing next to the RF tire pressure sensor. The horn will beep once to indicate successful sensor training.
NOTE: If the VSM (TPMS module integral to VSM) does not recognize any one of the four tire pressure sensors during the tire training procedure, the horn will sound twice and the message center (if equipped) will display "TIRE NOT TRAINED REPEAT" and the procedure must be repeated.
When the tire training procedure is complete, the horn will sound once and the message center (if equipped) will display "TIRE TRAINING MODE COMPLETE".

So basically you are fiddling with the ignition key to get it into TPMS training mode, then walking around your car starting at the driver's front tire, across the front to the passenger front tire, then passenger back, then driver's rear tire.

#8C2T-1A203-AB. It looks like a garage door opener with a little green button in the middle. There is no need to buy a costly rotunda tool or other universal sensor reset unit. Ford has to provide these reset tools in their new trucks since they wrote in the owner's manual that the trucks come with them.

Do you know if that same tool works on all Fords ?I have a 2007 Ranger .Ford don't list one for the Ranger .

The Ranger and the Explorer should have the same blue TPMS sensors mounted on the rim with a band. The tool I posted about wasn't listed for the Explorer either. It only became available with the newer F-150's (starting in 2008, I think), and wasn't listed for 2006 or 2007 models.

Actually, I think only because Ford listed the tool in the 2008 F-150 owner's manual as "included", they were forced to make a $20 reset tool available to owners. Otherwise, we'd be at the mercy of the dealers and tire shops with their $300 handheld units.

The Ranger and the Explorer should have the same blue TPMS sensors mounted on the rim with a band. The tool I posted about wasn't listed for the Explorer either. It only became available with the newer F-150's (starting in 2008, I think), and wasn't listed for 2006 or 2007 models.

Actually, I think only because Ford listed the tool in the 2008 F-150 owner's manual as "included", they were forced to make a $20 reset tool available to owners. Otherwise, we'd be at the mercy of the dealers and tire shops with their $300 handheld units.
Thank you for your reply .I still have a good connection at a Ford dealer ,I worked there for the last 30 years .I will try to find out if the F250 tester will work on the Ranger . We will take one out of a new truck and try it . I will post again after I find out .

What if -

the horn does nor sound at the end of the initial sequence (brake on/off, 3 times ignition and so on) ?????

Explorer XLT 2007

Well, either your horn is broke or the sequence wasn't performed correctly. The horn goes off after the second round of brake/key manipulation (sections 5-6), but doesn't sound off after the first round (sections 1-4).

Ditto Spikedogs comment. The horn goes off after the second round of key cycling. And yes, the $20 tool is all you need. Works fine on the band style and the stem style on my snow tires.

Back