• Register Today It's free!

Spartan Locker

skysthelymyt

Reaction score
City, State
Florence, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer
Well, after reading a lot of threads about different lockers I decided to go with a US Standard Gear Spartan Locker. Like any lunchbox style locker, it goes in the place of the spider gears. The install of the locker was very easy. I used the thread http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318076 to help during install.
The locker came in a nice box.

locker2.jpg

locker1.jpg

locker3.jpg

It came with a set of instructions on how to install the locker inside the open carrier. The Spartan Locker DID NOT have to be modified in any way to fit the ford 8.8 IRS. The axle spacers had the correct inside diameter.

locker4.jpg

locker5.jpg

Not the best way to measure the inside diameter but hey, it worked.
Getting the diff out wasn't all that hard. I had a buddy with me helping getting it out.

I cleaned the inside of the diff with break cleaner (not perfect) but I got the major stuff off.

insidediff.jpg

Btw, the tolerance for the Spartan Locker is between .145-.170 inches. That was measured with feeler gauges. Do not use thrust washers for this locker. It specifically states not to use them. So make sure you get them out when you remove the spider gears.
After install:

insidediff2.jpg

After you get everything back together, go have some fun!!!

flex.jpg

flex3.jpg

flex2.jpg

It works excellent. NO problems. I don't hardly hear it on the road. You can hear it when making sharp turns in a parking lot. I used Lucas 85w-140 gear oil. And if you have a noisy rear end, this gear oil will help lessen that noise. It is about 10$ a bottle and you need to get two. (Ford manual says to put 1.7 quarts in rear axle)

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great write up. Can't wait to regear and lock mine this summer

One good thing about the Spartan is that its made by Yukon gears and it has a hardened shaft already..

Nice! How much did it cost?

Great deal! This is exactly what the 3rd gens need. With a super rigid frame and IRS it rlly doesn't take much to lift a wheel even with the sway bars disconnected.

Should it still be a direct fit if I do a 4.10 or 4.56 swap?

Still trying to understand how gearing works.

Should it still be a direct fit if I do a 4.10 or 4.56 swap?

Still trying to understand how gearing works.

Yep. The ring and pinion gears change but the carrier and CV axles stay the same. Since those two things (carrier/axles) are the factors that affect fitment for our diffs then you should not have any issue fitting the locker when you do a gear swap.

However, with 4.56 gears you will probably have to grind the edge off one of the ring gear teeth to allow the cross pin to be inserted into the carrier. As I understand it, this is done frequently with all the higher ratio gears and it has no impact on anything.

I've updated the Aussie Locker install thread in the stickies to mention that the Spartan locker is a direct fit install. Hopefully that will encourage more people to start doing this now.

Thanks.
I hope so too.

Yep. The ring and pinion gears change but the carrier and CV axles stay the same. Since those two things (carrier/axles) are the factors that affect fitment for our diffs then you should not have any issue fitting the locker when you do a gear swap.

However, with 4.56 gears you will probably have to grind the edge off one of the ring gear teeth to allow the cross pin to be inserted into the carrier. As I understand it, this is done frequently with all the higher ratio gears and it has no impact on anything.

That is something that would void a warranty without a noched pin... Even though they are weaker...
Im going 4.56 and I'm most likely get the noched pin allthough they don't have but a yr or so warranty on the ring and pinion...

That is something that would void a warranty without a noched pin... Even though they are weaker...
Im going 4.56 and I'm most likely get the noched pin allthough they don't have but a yr or so warranty on the ring and pinion...

I don't much about the full carrier lockers like the Ox, but I would think that with the way they work there would be less of a problem running a notched pin than with a lunchbox...maybe the stress on the pin is the same between the two types though...don't know.

Didn't think about the warranty thing, good point.

I ordered mine today! Can not wait to get it.

I don't much about the full carrier lockers like the Ox, but I would think that with the way they work there would be less of a problem running a notched pin than with a lunchbox...maybe the stress on the pin is the same between the two types though...don't know.

Didn't think about the warranty thing, good point.

actually after looking at some pics it looks like all the full case lockers just bolt right to the ring gear, there's no cross pin because it that kind doesn't need one.

So I guess the whole notched cross pin thing vs notching the gear tooth doesn't really come into play unless you're doing a lunchbox locker or spider gears

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I ordered mine today! Can not wait to get it.

It's awesome. I have enjoyed having it so far this week. I can't hear it with the radio on. With the windows down and radio off while in a tight turn I can hear it barely. If you are very light on the pedal from a stop into a turn, it will unlock and won't make any noticeable noise. It was worth every penny in my opinion.

Back