Need help with my 4x4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help with my 4x4

yetiwarrior82

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer xlt
hello everyone. i hope someone can help me. i love bringing my explorer out on the trails and everything and living in new england i need 4x4. now there is the problem. i have a 1996 explorer xlt. its got 4x4 and it worked great. well i bottomed out the front part of my truck today and now my 4x4 doesn't work. i looked under the front of the truck and on the passanger side there is this like metal cable that is hanging there. obviously it needs to be put back but where. it looks like it just pops back in somewhere but idk where. someone please help me out. btw i have a v6 4.0

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pics.

I see a picture of some kids smooching.

OK, that is a vent tube, probably for the front differential. It allows to unit to breathe, and should be located higher up to keep water out.

Yes, if I remember correctly, on my Explorer that tube was attached to a clip on or near the shock mount, driver's side. YMMV

hello everyone. i hope someone can help me. i love bringing my explorer out on the trails and everything and living in new england i need 4x4. now there is the problem. i have a 1996 explorer xlt. its got 4x4 and it worked great. well i bottomed out the front part of my truck today and now my 4x4 doesn't work. i looked under the front of the truck and on the passanger side there is this like metal cable that is hanging there. obviously it needs to be put back but where. it looks like it just pops back in somewhere but idk where. someone please help me out. btw i have a v6 4.0
On the right side there is a vacuum control which engages/disengages the right front axle. I am thinking you have severed the vacuum line somewhere. Does the truck idle any differently since you bottomed out with the 4x4 engaged? I have never had a problem with mine, but could see where this could cause a problem. Just an idea.

Back