4x4 & low 4x4 flashing

Ben L

Reaction score
City, State
gold coast
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xl
The 4x4 and the low 4x4 indication lights on the dash cluster of my 97'
Exploere is flashing 6 times every few minuets.
And the four wheel drive is not working.
Does any one know what this code means?

Regards.
Ben

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It means the system has detected a fault and a code has been stored. The 6 flashes is not a specific code. Autozone will not be able to retrieve that trouble code as it's stored in the GEM, not the PCM, and their scanners only read the PCM.

You can *try* to replace the rear axle speed sensor mounted to the top of the differential as that seems to be the most common cause and solution to the problem. It seems to fix the problem better than half the time, and it's about a $13 part.

Good luck!

Check if the TC is unplugged

Ben,
The 4x4 high and 4x4 low flashing lights (they flash 6 times every two --exact- minutes) might be indicating you that the connector to the Transfer case (actually the shift motor) is unplugged. That would be enough reason for your X not engaging in 4x4.
Crawl under the X, locate the TC and check the wires coming from the shift motor/TC body's connector is actually plugged.

G.

Ben,
The 4x4 high and 4x4 low flashing lights (they flash 6 times every two --exact- minutes) might be indicating you that the connector to the Transfer case (actually the shift motor) is unplugged.

The blinking 4wd lights are not an indication of any specific problem any more than the check engine light is. All it's telling you is that the system has detected a fault and a trouble code has been stored. Nothing more.

While it's true that the transfer case connector being disconnected can make the light blink, the blinking lights can be caused by a plethora of other issues as well. Without knowing what code is stored, it's a guessing game at best.

my 4l and 4h lights flash and my truck is stuck in 4l what do i do

I just got the same problem, both low & high flashes 6 times, and as I understand it a normal OBD-II diagnostic instrument will not be able to read out the code ?

Can I buy an instrument to get out the code ? (and in that case what is it called) or can I use the old counting number of flashes on a led somewhere, or use a test lamp ?

We don't have many US Ford shops here in sweden so I it is a bit tricky to find a shop that could help.

NO HELP HERE. My 02 4X4 low & high light flashes 3X and I have no idea what to do. Don't like the idea of taking my 02 to a repair shot or a dealer & be taken take for a ride. Have any one heard of the helicopter effect in reference to explorers. The dealer(s) claim that the extreme vibration that I experience with my rear windows open & driving over 30 MPH is called HELICOPTER EFFECT. The vibration gets worst the higher the MPH.

I removed the battery for 1 minute and have not had any problems after that (so far), about 3 month now, in my case I think it has something to do with the ABS sensors because one is failing sometimes and the sensors are used by the automatix 4WD, but I am just guessing now.

A common problem as I understand it is that the motor that is used to switch between automatic 4WD, 4WD and 4WD low can stop working or move a little so it failes to detect the correct mode for the gearbox.

HELP-The 4x4 and the low 4x4 indication lights on the dash cluster of my 98'
Explorer is flashing power windows will not work
And the four wheel drive is not working.

The power windows does not have anything to do with the 4x4 so I would have a peek at the fusebox to see if any fuse is blown first of all.

Drive two mile and the fuse blows, now what?

i have a 97 explorer 2 dr and my lights blink 6 times every couple of minutes my 4wd does not work even in 4 low its still geared like it is and the light is on even when put it in 4 hi the light come on but the front tires do not spin after a couple of minutes the lights blink and they go off i need help please im tryen to sell this thing u can email me at benpack61@hotmail.com thank you

my # 26 fuse was blowing, I changed the large relay under the dash, two times, I got a bad one first time

Ben,
The 4x4 high and 4x4 low flashing lights (they flash 6 times every two --exact- minutes) might be indicating you that the connector to the Transfer case (actually the shift motor) is unplugged. That would be enough reason for your X not engaging in 4x4.
Crawl under the X, locate the TC and check the wires coming from the shift motor/TC body's connector is actually plugged.

G.

My sons' 98 Explorer Sport shows the same issue. Can someone provide any pics that show exactly where this connection is located? It sounds like an easy 1st step to troubleshoot.

relay

If you look above the gas petal on the left side of the radio you will see a black box with relays in it. One of the first 3 relays you can get to will be bad there will be one about 1-1/2 in sq and about 6 smaller ones the first one (the bigger one) on mine was bad and it keep blowing fuse # 26

i had the same problem at random one night. unplugged the battary for 5 min and connected it back up.

zero issues since then :)

Fixed It!!!!

Problem was a loose wire connection to the switch. Made doubly sure that the connector was firmly engaged. Started up and right off the bat, no blinking lights and fully-functional 4x4!!! :D

Just recently had the same problem with my 98 XLT. I took off the bezel and the wires to the switch were loose. Reconnected the wires and made sure they were tight, started her up and no blinking lights!:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New Member,
Went to Store today, same problem started for me on my 2000 explorer.
4x4 Hi & Lo dash lights flashing (6 times) while driving.
Power windows stopped working.
Dome lights stopped working.
Replaced 3 relays near the gas pedal:FOAB-14B192-AA (replaced one) and
F57B14B192-AA (replaced two).
Is # 26 fuse the same on the 2000 explorer? Is there different fuse location other then
the location by the driver's door and under the hood to check?
Thanks R146rick

Back