• Register Today It's free!

bad ecm?

mineman_Bruce

Reaction score
City, State
lake Stevens Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford ranger
I have been chasing a god damn intermittent stall for the last 2 months and drained my bank to the tune of 2900 dollars and I am out of ideas. 1994 4x4 manual cali 4.0 will start and run great cold and then randomly just shut itself off usually somewhere inconvenient. It'll take 20+ minutes of cooling of to restart. 2 shops haven't been able to figure it out. No codes fuel pressure is there. Sparks there. Cleaned the maf, replaced both ect sensors. Full tune up including filter and injector and fuel rail cleaning. Cleaned the iac.

Yesterday I tried to pull codes off if it with a codes reader. Cold it pulled 111 all ok. Heard all the clicking etc. So I warmed it up to do the koer test. Shut it off wouldn't start. Figured maybe the code reader could find something. All the sudden my code reader couldn't pull anything or activate any sensors. Cooled off a bit and bam finally the codes reader could pull codes. 111. Tried the engine running test again. Gave me 111. Tried it a second time after it was warm again and got the same issue with the code reader not being able to pull anything. So after some reading it seems the ecm would be at fault? I have to drive this thing from San Diego to Seattle so I can store it for deployment so I'm trying to fix this once and for all before I push it off a cliff. Any ideas?

I had some intermittent issues with my 1992 Ranger, found 2 capacitors on the ECM board that seemed to be bulging at the tops and bottoms, testing reviled that they had seen better days. A trip to the local electronics store and a couple of bucks for new caps and some conformal coating to reseal the board, truck runs great! I'm not saying that this is your problem but if your gonna remove the ECM then it doesn't hurt to open it up to have a look.;)

Back