Are A4LD bell housings interchangeable? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are A4LD bell housings interchangeable?

mpark@atlantamem

Reaction score
City, State
Texarkana, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
can someone please tell me if bell housings are interchangeable on the A4LD. From a 4.0 to a 2.9. I thought maybe I could take the bell housing off an
A4LD from behind a 2.9L and switch with an A4LD from behind a 4.0L then put it back behind the 2.9L. I am working on a 1990 Ranger w/ 2.9L. I hope this make sense. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go look at the frankentranny sticky (was the last sticky above) - early on he describes the differences, if not what you need the transmission rebuild talks about it some. I think they are identical.

Update: sorry, I didn't notice that Brooklyn had answered. Never mind.

can someone please tell me if bell housings are interchangeable on the A4LD. From a 4.0 to a 2.9. I thought maybe I could take the bell housing off an
A4LD from behind a 2.9L and switch with an A4LD from behind a 4.0L then put it back behind the 2.9L. I am working on a 1990 Ranger w/ 2.9L. I hope this make sense. Thanks!

Why would you swap bellhousings? The 4.0l trans will bolt right up to the 2.9l. No need to swap bellhousings. I'm running a 2.9l trans and bell housing on my 4.0l. It feels like its got a 3000 stall converter in it, but the truck isnt used on the road anymore. Its just used around the yard at my shop, so I dont really care.

I am having trouble locating 2.9 a4ld tranny. thought a 4.0 might be easier to find.

Back